Fluval nano build

mari.harutunian

Starting a tank for my friend and I was wondering-

1)Should I use fine synthetic sand or course aragonite sand?

2)Good inhabitants for a beginner 5gal tank?

3)If i seed it with LR from my tank, what is the expected cycle time/ should I do something else?

4) If seeded with LR should the tank be started with a hermit or snail?

Can't wait to show her all the ins and outs!! Already have a few beginner corals from my tank lined up to give her. The tank that got her interested was a 100% Xenia filled fluval 5 gal. Ah I totally forgot to find her a refractometer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a five gallon tank, I think you'd struggle to comfortably fit anything bigger than one of the tiny gobies like the yellow clown or neon blue. Fortunately, both are relatively easy to care for. 

If you seed with rock from your tank, I'd still give it a week or two of watching paramenters with the sand - which, if you're going to insist on putting in there, I'd go aragonite before synthetic. If you go bare-bottom, you might have an easier time cleaning with a pipette or turkey baster, which is all the more critical for a water volume that small. 

With a five gallon tank, I think you'd struggle to comfortably fit anything bigger than one of the tiny gobies like the yellow clown or neon blue. Fortunately, both are relatively easy to care for.

If you seed with rock from your tank, I'd still give it a week or two of watching paramenters with the sand - which, if you're going to insist on putting in there, I'd go aragonite before synthetic. If you go bare-bottom, you might have an easier time cleaning with a pipette or turkey baster, which is all the more critical for a water volume that small.

She's also open to an invert only tank. She seems more interested in the corals than the fish. Thanks for the advice!

She actually seems to be leaning towards bare/gsp bottom. She is sort of set on a clownfish though. I'll start her out with a baby just so it doesn't outgrow her tank quickly.

She actually seems to be leaning towards bare/gsp bottom. She is sort of set on a clownfish though. I'll start her out with a baby just so it doesn't outgrow her tank quickly.

A clownfish in five gallons is probably not optimal. LiveAquaria recommends one 600% bigger than that. I could see maybe a twenty, but a five is going to feel like living in a porta-potty in both living size and environment quality after a few weeks.

(edited)

A clownfish in five gallons is probably not optimal. LiveAquaria recommends one 600% bigger than that. I could see maybe a twenty, but a five is going to feel like living in a porta-potty in both living size and environment quality after a few weeks.

Even as a 1/2" clown? I'm talking baby clown for a year tops. Live aquaria goes by max size of 3"

Edited by mari.harutunian