Experiment.....

peacetypes

I think that i may set up a 30-50 gallon system outside with a few montis,(maybe some softies) and see what the real sun does to the corals, im going to use a filter, skimmer, and chiller probaly only

what do you guys think?

Robert

Guest Ruh Roh

I have seen a few posts about grow out tanks (ponds?) placed in outdoors. They usually cover them with greenhouse type thing, (keeps junk out and helps keep temp up)

Should work fine but you need to have heater and cooling. The only thing you are saving is on lights, sure they can get costly on bigger tanks but a 30 gallong you'll spend more heating and cooling it outside than you will on lights electircity. Plus that chiller will be more expensive than lights.

But if you want more info I remember reading some stuff on reefcentral about it.

I dont think that ill need a heater, prolly just the chiller, but i want to see if there is a color change in the corals or growth rate, nothing may happen at all but id like to try it out

Robert

Anthony Calfo has done a greenhouse and reports great things. If you check out his first book you will get some great ideas.

I bought a house in Oklahoma that had a sunroom. I put a 40 gal in the full sunlight and kept sps frags. Growth was huge, color was fair. (it Oklahoma sun, not fiji)

Heat was a problem. you will need a chiller or bury some hose (4ft down) and pump water thru it so the ground temp cools it.

Guest goblinshark
They might just turn brownish or darker in color like they do in the ocean  :rock:

Guest Amber Nussbaum
Dr. Mac's new propagation facility has a greenhouse type room that he's using for growing SPS corals. He said he probably won't supplement the lighting. Maybe you should email him and ask for some tips.