Aquarium Controllers

mutley29

I am looking at purchasing an Aquarium controller for my system, and after seeing dhoch's web page with the tank readings i was pretty much sold on them, although i'm still getting over the shock of how much these bad boy's cost.

I'm asking for those of you that have/do use them to voice your opinions.

For my system i would like to control pH, ORP and Temp simultaneously

and be accessible from the web.

No need for lighting timings as i use seperate timers in my MH's, actinics & moon lights, nor is there need for wave making functions as my OM 4-way does a sweet job.

Are my requirements do-able? which brands do you like/hate?

Any all info appreciated

Anton

although i'm still getting over the shock of how much these bad boy's cost.

Think that's sticker shock - check IKS or Aquatronica :o

You can make a couple of the older Neptunes web accessable but it takes a dedicated comp (though not much of one).

I have the same unit as dhoch & I had a reefkeeper prior. I like the more powerful unit better (yeah, I'm a DUH :lol: ).

You say you have timers....get a controller & you'll no longer need or want them. The AC line can do things a timer can't such as event handling. Temp too high? Turn a fan on...still going up? Turn a/some lights off. Far more powerful than a timer. The timers can also be linked - as in IF timerA = off then ItemX = On (or reversed). A simple example is that you can shut off a topoff system while a kalk reactor stirs.

I don't have the fancy software (yet) but even with the basic built in web server it's nice to get on the comp & look at a weeks worth of data.

heh... been poking around my website... kewl.

Well I looked at a bunch of units...

In terms of low cost units there are 2:

Reefkeeper (which is what I started with)... great little unit:

Pluses: Inexpensive, built in temp control, built in 8 unit control

Minuses: not expandable, not accesable outside the unit itself, no pH, ORP or other control

Lighthouse by Premium Aquatics:

I got this unit to examine it for a short time:

Pluses: Inexpensive (can't remember if it has a temp control), potential for attaching up to two probes (pH and ORP, but not more than that)... WEB INTERFACE!!! built in 8 unit control

Minuses: Only 8 unit control, not expandable... Interface sucks, has to sit (can't really mount the unit)... thought for a brief time I would do the Lighthouse and a reefkeeper...

But finally settled on the ACIII

Pluses Well this thing is up there in controllers, web accessable, expandable, multiple types of control, great interface... I can go on....

Dave

Thanks guys

The event lighting sounds very kool, i have my elec ballasts above my tank screwed to a shelf, each ballast has it's own socket, and dedicated line from the house mains supplies all 4 400w ballasts, hence the timers which switch them on and off from left to right, the fans are also connected to the right or last to go on and off timer.

The ACIII looks and sounds like an awesome bit of kit, how do they compare to the Octopus controllers?

The database of information is something that i like the sound of too, it would really help narrowing down problems in the system should they occur.

Thanks again

please keep the info coming

off to do some controller surfing

Anton :)

Ps. Dave

very cool website, my wife is doing a web design course at the moment, hopefully have one up and running soon, i'm not that technically minded, those dutch shipyards have a lot to answer for

The ACIII looks and sounds like an awesome bit of kit, how do they compare to the Octopus controllers?

54240[/snapback]

Have had both, the AC and the Octopus: My next purchase is in the AC line because the one AC is older then both Octopus....and both Octopii are paperweights.

pedalpower... how do you like it?

That's one of the units I considered when I was amking the decision about what controller to get... as I recall the price was very similar...

I think the thing that was the difference for me was the number of people using the neptune unit and the fact that they had a forum on reefcentral, and the customer support was rated excellent (and I have received that from them as well).

Dave

I think that it's a great unit but I have never seen or used a neptune before. I know with the neptune units you program everything, but with aquatronica you just it's a selection off of a menu. You can have any device/s turn on or off within a .1 of the desired setting. You can any number of probes. You are only limited by the powerbar (8 plugs/6 USB/2 slots of water and temp interfaces). I currently have two powerbars 12' apart and have never had any problems. But, they can be seperated by as much as 18 feet without the use of a repeater. They also have PC serial interface. I have a mac so I have to use VPC to use it. Their software is ok, but it doesn't currently have the ability to page you if there is a problem or post readings on the web. When I spoke to Will (Aquarium Obssessed) at MACNA he told that they were working on it. I hope that helps. If you have specific questions just let me know.

I think the thing that was the difference for me was the number of people using the neptune unit and the fact that they had a forum on reefcentral, and the customer support was rated excellent (and I have received that from them as well).

54306[/snapback]

Dave,

Just in case you have not seen the long long long RC Aquatronica Thread Part1:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1

Part 2:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=738491

I have had this one on my watch list for quite some time, but until it has Ethernet/TCPIP connectivity, it is a non starter for me.

Unfortunately, until the ACIII Pro has multiple tank control, it is a non-starter as well :(

Unfortunately, until the ACIII Pro has multiple tank control, it is a non-starter as well

Curious - what would that entail? (might be something to bug 'em about). The Pro can handle 30 devices, matters little what tank they're on....and...aquanotes can do multi-tanks for data.

Erik,

RIght now the limitation of the ACIII is lack of multiple data points from multiple tanks... You can't have a temp2 for example or a pH 2, etc....

That's a problem.... traveler is right...

I know they are working on an expansion box that should be able to help with this (~$200) that they are saying will be out in march (but we'll see)... regardless it'll be backordered for about 500 months :)

Dave

AAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.......I got it - somehow I was only thinking of the "plugged devices" - forgot about the monitored devices.

Yeah, you can do 2 PH....oh but then it's no ORP....or you can do ORP but then it's no second PH :lol: Definately a kludge.

500 months? You think it will be that quick? :D

Yeah it always seems where there is some new product I want I have to wait 500 months for it...

Dave

Guest Leishman

Dave:

Do you still have the Lighthouse? If so, do you want to sell it?

-Rik

Rik,

No... I returned it after playing with it a bit (never hooked anything up to it, just played with the controls and read through the documenation.

Dave