Moving tank 110 with 55 sump to 300 with 125 sump please help

linkfalcon

Moving tank 110 with 55 sump to 300 with 125 sump please help 

so trying to figure out the move here 

so i know i need all new sand got that part and lots of extra water got that covered as well

now the live rock is the confusing part for me!!!

the idea i have is add new sand to 300 and all my live rock from the 110 and sump.

But i know im going to need more rock so the question is do i add dry rock or add live rock?

next question is so i have some reef rock that's been sitting in my basement in cold water with no heat or movement with this rock i'm thinking  to boil it in rodi water then add to to the 300 is this ok if not what should i do?

thanks guys 

You didn't say if you are staying in same house /location - but assuming you are, and just upgrading to a 300.  If so, then my initial advice would be to take it slow and allow a 2-3 month period transition if possible, or more.  Map out in your head or make a sketch of your vision for rockwork.  Then look at your current rock in 110 and think of those will fit into your vision.  Do the same for rock in basement.  Depending on vision and budget, decide if what you currently own fits into your grand plan.  You should also decide how you will do rockwork.  Some newer ideas involve using a paver for base and people using some type of rod and drilling the rock to make tower structures; then a concrete mix to hold it together - like Sanjay, Copps, and others have done.  If time permits you can even dry fit the rock in your 300 of not crushed on time.

As for cooking your rock or freshwater dip in RODI, I have no experience with that and can offer no advice.  Depending on source of rock it could be helpful or it may just kill off beneficial stuff that didn't need to be killed.  Can you add some power heads and heat to the water and see what happens to the rock if you bring it up to a tropical temp?

In short, think it out and take your time with the move.

Thank you. We will be moving houses by the end of April. The 110 is at my old house and the 300 is at the new house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could boil your wet rock in rodi water but i don't think you need to go nearly that far.  it probably doesn't have many bad things in it if it has been held in cold water for a while.

Time frame you have to complete this task ? In addition from my experience a set up just to hold the corals is the best approach IMHO. You may want to prefab your reef structure and move it slowly . Check out DaveS build. Rubbermaide in new location is the best route to take, and TAKE IT SLOOOOW or there will be great loses.