Lighting Question

Boomer

So, unfortunately I did not discover WAMAS until after I set up the lighting for my aquarium and now I'm in the following dilemma.  I'm currently using the Finnex Ray 2 daylight (all white) and my 15 gal (12 inches deep).  All my corals seem to be doing well (not SPS), but I'd like to add some blue light for coral health and general appearance.  I'm thinking about buying another Finnex Ray 2 but getting the all actnic blue version and running both, but I'm wondering if that is a waste of money and if I should invest the 90 bucks into a nicer light.  I know a nicer light might be nice to have for a future upgrade, but the fact of the matter is I'm probably a couple of years away from upgrading so I'm only thinking about appropriate lighting for this system.  I've done a lot of reading on lighting already, but all the info out there is a bit overwhelming so I want to get y'alls input.

Bottom line, would greatly appreciate advice on what I should do:

1) Leave it just with current lighting

2) Add Finnex Ray 2 actnic blue (would it be too much light to run both?)

3) Invest in a different light (and if so, what do you recommend, taking into consideration that I don't want to break the bank and that my tank is only 12 inches deep)

Thanks in advance!

I'd get just the BlueBar... That'll give the supplement that you need and desire for, if money is tight... 
 If not, You can always build your own, to your own spec,s and needs, and those SPS will then be doing AMAZING. but nonetheless, Giving them that Actinic spectrum, that the cells wthin' their tissue's, needs to grow and maintain those colors we love OhSoMuch...
   Anyone else got any different idea's or thoughts??

Thanks for the response 703.  That's what I'm leaning towards--getting the blues to supplement.  I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money and know there are a lot of more knowledgeable and experienced people on here than me.

So, unfortunately I did not discover WAMAS until after I set up the lighting for my aquarium and now I'm in the following dilemma. I'm currently using the Finnex Ray 2 daylight (all white) and my 15 gal (12 inches deep). All my corals seem to be doing well (not SPS), but I'd like to add some blue light for coral health and general appearance. I'm thinking about buying another Finnex Ray 2 but getting the all actnic blue version and running both, but I'm wondering if that is a waste of money and if I should invest the 90 bucks into a nicer light. I know a nicer light might be nice to have for a future upgrade, but the fact of the matter is I'm probably a couple of years away from upgrading so I'm only thinking about appropriate lighting for this system. I've done a lot of reading on lighting already, but all the info out there is a bit overwhelming so I want to get y'alls input.

Bottom line, would greatly appreciate advice on what I should do:

1) Leave it just with current lighting

2) Add Finnex Ray 2 actnic blue (would it be too much light to run both?)

3) Invest in a different light (and if so, what do you recommend, taking into consideration that I don't want to break the bank and that my tank is only 12 inches deep)

Thanks in advance!

How much are the blue accents?

Do you have the option of a canopy or ceiling mount? Think about an evergrow d120 unit...might be a little more expensive...but can def. be used for an upgrade later...

Currently I don't.  Thanks for the d120 rec.  I've heard/read good things about them.  I think part of my hesitation is that I'm not sure if/when I'll upgrade (or to what size).  In our current apartment I will almost certainly stick with the 15 so it will depend on future living situation.  Do people think it would be worth the extra money to go with an ecoxotic lighting fixture?  Or would maybe a Par38 bulb be best?

I'd do the par bulb..I've got an ecopico with their light and 2 extra strips...it's okay...I prefer my d120's on my 50g though,lol I've got 2 and I'm going to add one more, if not 2 to my 150g upgrade...

I should say my pico light is different than their strip light, but it's the same watt LEDs...just for reference...

Edited by smallreef

Currently I don't. Thanks for the d120 rec. I've heard/read good things about them. I think part of my hesitation is that I'm not sure if/when I'll upgrade (or to what size). In our current apartment I will almost certainly stick with the 15 so it will depend on future living situation. Do people think it would be worth the extra money to go with an ecoxotic lighting fixture? Or would maybe a Par38 bulb be best?

+1 they aren't too expensive if wanting a d120 I've heard nothing but rave reviews so far