Tom's Aqualifter pressure question

BMW1600

Last night I set up my ATO using my Reefkeeper Lite. Single float for now, because one of the Digital Aquatics float switch hangers has every single one of its drilled holes stripped right out so there are no threads :mad:

I'm using an Aqualifter to pump RODI water from a bucket under my stand. The Aqualifter is hung by a screw underneath the tank, as high up as it will go underneath the stand. It is pushing water through a total of about 6 or 7 feet or air line (some of that is excess in the bucket...some of that is line snaking around my HOB skimmer).

My question is, given the length of line involved, should I be seeing a steady stream of water, or a fast drip? Because right now I am seeing a fast drip. Maybe 2-3 drops per second, but certainly not a stream.

I understand the pump has a max 30" lift. I've seen a lot of photos and vids of them sitting on floors near tanks, or underneath them, so at this point I'm just seeking confirmation that the pump is operating as it should, since I have absolutely no frame of reference.

Thanks!

Dave

hmm... well... technically, the length of tubing should be a minor factor compared to the head (height lift). 7ft distance seems a little excessive though and at that length may start to influence the pumping ability. is the tubing ridgid or really flimsy? at that lenght, if it is really flimsy, it may be collapsing. . if possible, you should shorten the tubing, and also check for obstructions. you may also want to run some vinegar through to remove any debris that may have accumulated in the pump.

im using a TOM for my ATO hanging in the stand similarly to what you desscribe, with the inline filter and am getting a fairly small, but steady stream coming out. maybe 10ml a minute.

Thanks for the reply. It's moderately stiff air line. Not the soft silicone. There is probably one foot of excess line lying the bucket. As the line comes over the rim of the tank it makes one loose loop around the outlet on my skimmer. There is not a lot of slack, just enough to avoid pinches.

That seems like a pretty good rate. Excess tubing is not going to cause a lack of flow if it is at the same head and going down in elevation. Only problem is a risk of kinking. Tom lifters are rated a 3gph max at zero head pressure so you could use a measured container to see the rate. ie One gallon in 20 minutes. Just lifting out of a bucket, say 10", you might be down to 1.5-2 gph though.

Edited by mr.x-ray

It should be a slow stream. It shouldn't be so slow its dripping unless you have it at teh limit for head pressure. I would start by checking the connections to make sure they are air tight. Then, try lowering the pump a little and seeing if it picks up. If so, you could just have it up too high.