Dottyback/Clown Fish Compatability

Guest hk132

Guest hk132

I've got a 30 gallon marine tank with a dominant orchid dottyback who is now the sole inhabitant of the tank.  I'm interested in purchasing a pair of clown fish to add to this.

I read that the orchid dottybacks should be added last to a tank.  Are the clown fish a wise investment?

Also, what additional fish could be added to this 30 gallon tank were it to have the orchid dottyback and two clowns?

Thanks for any advice!

My orchid dottyback (p. fridmani) never showed any aggressiveness to any of my other fish.  They are the most docile dottybacks available.  If it were a purple dottyback (p. porphyreus) or a royal gramma (Gramma loreto), things would be different.

I would think that a pair of clowns would be fine, but I have never kept them so I don't know.  I guess it depends on the type of clown fish.  Ocellaris or Percula should be fine IMO.

Other fish might be a gobie, green chromis, or a blenny.  If you don't have a reef tank you can go with some of the more agressive fish such as a small trigger, hogfish, etc.

Depending on your invert selection (if any), you can consider a hawkfish, a small wrasse, and certain angelfish.

-Tom

It should be OK- try not to get a pair that are total babies though.  I think Tom's p. fridmani is also one of the captive raised ones from one of our old members.  Mine is also quite docile, though I don't know if this is due to their being captive raised and introduced into a community tank when real young.

Hmm- who got the 4th one?  Maybe Craig?  Anyhow, I believe all dottybacks in stores these days are captive raised, as collection of them from the red sea is prohibited- no?