Filters

schulzjp

I wanted to find out if people are using standard filters or chloramine filters in their Rodi. I recently bought a test kit to check out my water for drinking purposes but the kit does not test for chloramine and I never thought about it until now. I live in Fairfax and would really like to get some input from people using Fairfax Water. I plan on getting back into the hobby after a 2 year break from a disappointing 90 gallon experience so I really want to get it right this time.

I did find this info on the Fairfax Water site (http://www.fcwa.org/water/faq.htm) so it makes me think I should get chloramine filters:

17. Do I need to treat the tap water in any way before I place fish in an aquarium?

Fairfax Water uses chlorine for disinfection purposes, which can be harmful to fish if not dechlorinated prior to placing fish in it. Fairfax Water utilizes two types of chlorine, free chlorine and chloramines (chlorine and ammonia mixture). Chloramines are normally used July - March, and free chlorine is generally used April - June. Free chlorine and chloramine dechlorination is performed differently. Chemical additives with directions for dechlorinating either free chlorine or chloramine from water for use in fish tanks or ponds are available at pet/fish supply stores.