Blue corals - need advice

Guest Kimo

Guest Kimo

Hey everyone -

As most of you know, I have a 180 gallon SPS tank, high flow, pretty good lighting.   I have been looking at a sky-blue staghorn and was thinking about making a purchase - However I am concerned that I will not be able to keep the color.  From what I have heard, blue is a notoriously difficult color to keep.

My lighting consists of 2x175W 10K Ushio (old bulbs) and 2x250W CoralVue.  Left to right, the lights are 175W,  250W, 250W, 175W

I also have 2 3' actinics.  I may get some new actinics (6') tonight.

I am using dual PFO probe start ballasts for all MH and a LN electronic ballast for the VHOs.

One problem I have is that my live rock is not any higher than 10" from the surface of the water.  I wanted to provide plenty of growing ans swimming room.  I have been seriously considering adding some more live rock, to bring the corals closer to the surface.

Also, my bulbs are a full 10" from the water.  I am still trying to figure out how to lower them, while still allowing easy access to the tank.  My hood only has a door in the front, and the top does not raise up.  I would like to lower at least the 250's about 3".  

SO...I wanted to know what everyone's experience with blue corals, especially staghorn SPS, is so I can make a fairly informed descision.  I have enough brown corals :)

Thanks!!

Jamie

Jamie,

I have kept blue acros under 2x250w iwasakis with the corals being about 10 inches from the lights (total distance) and they maintained their color.  These were captive raised pieces.  Some of the wild blue colonies that I got didn't keep their color.  It took them 8-9 months before they colored back up to the blue color.  Granted, water quality conditions play a big role in it as does wild vs. captive as to whether it will maintain its color.

If the acro is captive raised and you placed it under the 250 watt bulbs, you might have a good chance at keeping the color.  If its wild, I'll bet it will turn brown (at least for a while).

Hope this helps.

Bob

this might be worth a read over if you haven't seen it yet.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234253

Also look up Sanjay's articles on how lighting intensity drops WRT distance.  Most of my blue corals are pretty high up- maybe 6 inches from surface under a 400W lamp.