Pump Repair - seal replacement?

davelin315

One of my barracudas was leaking earlier in the year around the seal so I shut it down and left it as I had other things to tend to. I finally got around to removing it the other day and the shaft is pretty difficult to rotate and the seal itself seems to rotate with the shaft. Anyone know how to repair this type of pump and replace the seals?

(edited)

You're gonne need a new pump seal, and you might as well replace the o-ring. I don't know where to get those parts. But, you can get the manual here: http://www.reeflopum...h=1234025421256

It's a funky (probably forgotten) site on their website that I found. If it doesn't work, I saved the image of the manual and can email it to you.

I've done this on a hayward pool pump and it's fairly straight forward, but it varies from brand to brand. You basically take the whole thing apart, starting with the impeller housing. Just be extremely care not to bend the drive shaft, even a little bit. That will result in the pump becoming unbalanced and probably fail. You may need a gear puller or similar tool to remove the impeller w/out bending the shaft. unless it just slips off, I wouldn't try to just pull it off by hand or with a wrench.

edit:

I was curious and looked over the manual and it seams the impeller just screws on to the shaft.

Edited by Integral9

Order the seals straight from reeflo. Their website is horrible, but they are great people to talk to on the phone, very helpful. I am pretty sure the seals come with instructions. It helps if you have a press, but not difficult at all.

call and send it to them. it well worth it to have them do it. I bought a seal and tried it myself, leaked like crazy. so i sent it to them and they installed and serviced the pump. now it is quieter than ever!

I just did this exact thing back in June on my Dart. I called Reeflo and they sent me the parts with instructions. The instructions are not that great, but on them is an actual website address to Melev's Reef where he photo-documented the whole process. I followed these and found them extremely useful:

Melev's Reef Dart Repair

I had a backup pump running my system while my main was offline.

Cheers

Mike