Tsunami relief

This is an email that came across the Aquaticinfo email list, a listserve for professional aquarists.

I would like to see WAMAS help them acquire funds & equipment to get re-established.

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:31:10 EST

Subject: Aquaticinfo: Tsunami relief fund for divers/collectors

To: aquaticinfo@neaq.org

Hello,

Awhile back I had sent out an initial email about a tsunami relief fund.

I have since made contact with a collector in Sri Lanka. The following is from Kevin in Trincomalee.

<<<Dear Mr.Joe,

Thank you for your massage.We had a big damage with this Tsunami wave.We lost most of over boats,compressoners and some aquariums in north east and lots of familial of my divers were lost there houses and there diving equipments.If we can give these thing ,they can start diving and collecting the fish.

Some coral reefs have been damaged badly in eastern area.We have to clean the coral beds to get back things normal.Since having large number of divers of my own ,I hope to joint with other companies to remove the sand and rocks in the coral bed.

I lost my four compressoners out of seven because of this wave.If possible please try to send us a new compressoner.

It is great if you can arrange some funds for us to make everything back to normal.

Thanks & best regards,

kevin>>>

The Long Island Reef Assoc (www.lireef.org) is raising money to help Kevin out.  On our website, there is a link to our fundraising efforts.  I'm working with a compressor company to hopefully get some compressors donated, as well as other equipment needed for collecting.  Money will also be sent so they'll have some money to get these installed, etc.

If list members have any contacts that would be willing to help out with collecting gear, money, etc please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe Yaiullo

Atlantis Marine World, NY USA

Thanks,

Glenn