Changing lighting in my 75 Gallon AGA

spykey

I currently have 2 175 (10K) metal halides over my tank. I was thinking of changing my lighting to 1 Actinic VHO and 3 40 watt 6500K normal output florescent lights (from Home depot). NO lights will be overdriven by an Icecap 660. Do people still overdrive Normal output lights with success? Is anyone in the club doing this?

I do not currently have any hard corals in my tank, but will soon have some LPS.

Larry

Larry-

Why not just go with the T12 VHO bulbs on the icecap ballast? The 660 will push up to four 4' bulbs.

I agree with Steve the VHO will be a better option even with just softies.

I was thinking of doing Normal output because of the price of the bulbs ($5). The last I checked VHO's were $30. Has anyone been successful using normal output bulbs on a Icecap 660?

Larry,

VHO bulbs are only $21 and will last you for 18 months. That's a pretty low cost of bulbs.

I agree with Steve, spend the extra bucks and go with true VHOs. However, my corals get very unhappy after 8 months of bulb life. After 10 months, their colors are bad and I start losing sps.

Since you have a 660, I would go with 2 VHO bulbs and 2 T5 bulbs with reflectors. I have this over my 55, the the color and light intensity is terrific. I use VHO: Actinic and 50/50 T5: 2-50/50s.

I recommend hellolights.com for bulbs.

Thanks for all the replies. I should have given a little history on my tank to avoid this confusion. This 75 gallon tank has been set up for years (8 or 9 years). I've changed lights several times. I've had T5's over this tank ( 3 T5 and 2 VHO). I've had Two 175's and 2 NO, and have had 4 VHO's over this tank. I am looking to do something a little different.

Thats why I asked if anyone did this. I am looking to Reef on the cheap!!

FWIW I have used over-driven NO bulbs. They are not quite as bright, and they need to be replaced within 3 months if you are keeping SPS. But, as you said, you are not keeping corals now, and you are planning LPS, so your situation is more forgiving.

In your current situation there is no downside to NOs other than reduced bulb life. That is compensated by the lower cost of the bulbs.