Connect ReefKeeper 2 to Computer

John

Disclaimer: This is for informational purposes only and I will take no responsibility if you try this and damage your ReefKeeper2 unit, aquarium equipment, computer, or anything else. If you do not feel comfortable making cables you should contact Digital Aquatics for the correct components/information. Using any cables/adaptors other than Digital Aquatics branded cables and adaptors will void any manufacture warranty you may have.

I recently had a Coralife Power Center fail after 3 months of use and I wanted to replace it with something more reliable and automated. I determined a controller was the best option and was fortunate enough to find a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper2 for sale by another WAMAS member. The features of the ReefKeeper2 are more than I had anticipated or thought I needed and now I can

Edited by John

Well, after all that work and shopping for parts, etc. I have some very unfortunate news. The Digital Aquatics myReef software is not sending e-mail notifications as anticipated. My test messages work flawlessly, so I contacted Digital Aquatics about the problem and here is their response:

"This is an issue with a very small percentage of myReef customers. We are currently working on a fix for this, but we do not have a time frame for its release. I am sorry for the inconvenience."

At least I can still log data and use all the other functionalities of the ReefKeeper 2 system, but I really wanted e-mail notifications...maybe it's time to write some code...urgh

Anyone else using ReefKeeper2 with myReef having e-mail failure?

• 2 months later...

I got a new Pinpoint pH probe (after returning the failed Coralife Power Center) and finally had the opportunity to hook it up and calibrate it for the tank. This was not so easy and I ran into several problems and thought I'd share in case anyone else in the club is running one.

When I first attempted to calibrate the probe I followed the instructions, but when placed in the 7.0 fluid the headunit read "0001" and in the 10.0 fluid the headunit read "0002". While double-checking everything I had done, my metal halide (channel 4) lamp turned off for the day (according to schedule) and I noticed pH reading fluctuated, so I tried to re-calibrate. It seemed to be working. In the 7.0 fluid I got an output of 655 and in the 10.0 fluid I got 1391, but when placed in the tank I was getting an output of ~4.0. I then searched the DA support forum to read that this was common for generation 1 ReefKeeper 2 units. I also discovered a thread about some trouble with it being hooked up to the computer (which mine is), so I disconnected it from the computer and re-calibrated it. It now seems to be working normally with accurate readings.

I contacted DA with my trouble and they responded to me this morning (Thanksgiving, great support!). They said, "This is the part [ground loop isolator] you need to make the RK2 work with the PC and pH."

http://www.store.digitalaquatics.com/produ...php?pid154.html

I wanted to share becase this information is not posted in their manual, product description (although RK2 is discontinued), or support forums.