paenian's 40 breeder

(edited)

Broke down the tank a while back to refinish the floor - carpeting back to the old wood underneath.

I also really want a Mantis shrimp, that'll be under way eventually, once the reef is back up and running happily.

I'm behind on pictures, but here's a shot of the stand with the tanks in place:

tank%20stand%202.jpg

We've added a glass pane to the right of the 40g for an overflow, plan to use that section as filtration. 30 gallon high sump, with refugium on the right and a turf filter on the left, return pump in the middle.

Stand is 2x8s with a 2x4 nailer in each corner; it's 18.5x72.5 inches, I think 42 inches tall? I don't remember exactly. Sanded, stained and painted by my wife Ruby, including the gold leaf band around the top. We're classy like that.

plumbing.jpg

40g breeder on the left, 3/2" bulkhead, but the plumbing's been reduced to 5/4" - I'm still not sure if it should be smaller, or if we should upgrade the pump - there's a lot of air going down, and related noise issues from surging water. Any suggestions to that regard are welcome - I'll take some updated pictures so you can see the plumbing in place.

Return pump is a Quiet One 3000 going through one of Bruce's WAVs (you can sorta see it under the stand) - 780gph max, probably about 500gph once it gets to the tank. We plan to add a Koralia or something of that nature.

The 20g on the right will be served by its own pump, and house a mantis shrimp with some zoas or something.

Edited by paenian