UV Sterilers

Kevin Garrison

Having heard things both ways in regards to reef tanks I am going to put this out there for you expert types with a lot more experience than me.

I was told never to run a UV on a reef tank as it kills what you are trying to promote in the reef (note: I currently don't have a sterilizer running on the reef).

I have also heard that it doesn't hurt to run one.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Garrison

Here is an article about UV Sterilizers by Peter Cunningham: http://lookatmyfish.blogspot.com/2007/08/u...-reef-tank.html

There are a lot of small organisms floating around in a reef system. Some are good and some are bad. The UV unit does not know the difference. The decision one has to make is it worth while to you. In my case, I feel it is more beneficial to control the free swimming parasites that attack my fish. :)

Edited by Highland Reefer

Thank you for the link, now... all I have to do is get a UV rated for a 150, 1 more thing to add to the list of things I need...

Thanks again, I think I agree with you on taking out the stuff that could harm the fish.

Kevin

I think this has been debated quite a bit in the past in other threads on this board. I vaguely recall weighing in on this a while back. A search should pull up the relevant threads.