New tank (newbie) Algae question

Lunker

My 120g display/55g sump has been operating for 5 1/2 wks. I have added 8 frags over the last week and they are doing well. Livestock, who are also doing well, currently includes a Yellow and Kole Tang with 2 clarkiis. Spend about $200 on assorted snails and crabs over the past 3 weeks. Readings are and has been Ph 8.3, no Amonia, Nitrates, or Nitrites. I've limited my T5s to about 8 hrs a day.

My concern: I'm getting what I would consider is more green algea than I should, especially on the top halve of my tank's live rock and tonga branches . Maybe not!

Does this sound reasonable to you at this stage of my tank? Should I consider more criters? Or should grandpa, relax, watch a football game and let the Tangs and critters eat their little hearts out? :why:

Thanks

Your tank is still relatively "young" and green algae is pretty normal at this stage. Time and patience is key. As already mentioned, test phosphate levels. What is water change regimen? If you haven't done so already, down the road, you may want to invest in a Phos Reactor of some sort.

Edited by zoozilla

what is your phosphate reading?

Don't know. That is one test kit that I haven't invested in yet. Looks like I now know what my next purchase will be.

Your tank is still relatively "young" and green algae is pretty normal at this stage. Time and patience is key. As already mentioned, test phosphate levels. What is water change regimen? If you haven't done so already, down the road, you may want to invest in a Phos Reactor of some sort.

I do have patience. Just wanting to make sure that the algae is what is to be expected in a new tank. As I said in my previous post, it looks like the phos test kit is next. Also, I did do a 12g water change yesterday morning. Thanks

Don't know. That is one test kit that I haven't invested in yet. Looks like I now know what my next purchase will be.

I do have patience. Just wanting to make sure that the algae is what is to be expected in a new tank. As I said in my previous post, it looks like the phos test kit is next. Also, I did do a 12g water change yesterday morning. Thanks

Hair Algae is expected in a new tank. DO you have a Fuge or some other way to export the nutrients? The key is to have something else Cheato Macro algae in a fuge or phos reator to out compete the hair algae.

Chris

Hair Algae is expected in a new tank. DO you have a Fuge or some other way to export the nutrients? The key is to have something else Cheato Macro algae in a fuge or phos reator to out compete the hair algae.

Chris

Chris,

I'm not sure if I would call it hair algea. The algea that I'm refering too appears to be a hard coating type on my LR. The coralline is also accumulating on these pieces also. I have added some Cheato Macro within my sump/fuge area about 1 week ago and have a light on the Cheato 24/7.

Ron