A little help with a new camera

rooroo

I just picked up my Canon Rebel XTi last night. It came with a 50mm 2.8, a 75-300 4.0, and an 18-55 3.0. I tried taking pics with the 18-55 last night which came out decent. Since its not a great f-stop, I have to have the shutter speed a bit lower than I like and it tends to show the movement of the corals. I know one thing I can do is turn off all the pumps, but I'm just curious which lense(s) you all use?

Also, I'm having trouble setting the white balance. In the past I've filled the entire frame with the sand, but now I have much less sand and its not exactly white anymore. What do you all use to get a good white balance setting?

Also, how do you get good pics of fish? Mine are pretty shy and fast moving. Do you feed them while taking pics?

I just picked up my Canon Rebel XTi last night. It came with a 50mm 2.8, a 75-300 4.0, and an 18-55 3.0. I tried taking pics with the 18-55 last night which came out decent. Since its not a great f-stop, I have to have the shutter speed a bit lower than I like and it tends to show the movement of the corals. I know one thing I can do is turn off all the pumps, but I'm just curious which lense(s) you all use?

Also, I'm having trouble setting the white balance. In the past I've filled the entire frame with the sand, but now I have much less sand and its not exactly white anymore. What do you all use to get a good white balance setting?

Also, how do you get good pics of fish? Mine are pretty shy and fast moving. Do you feed them while taking pics?

I'm in the same boat. I just bought a Canon G9. It is the fixed lens one with all the options of the SLR. I am lost.. :( I am wondering if I should just take it back and get an ultracompact..

I'm not familiar with your camera. Most of the cameras have a setting for picking your shutter speed as the priority. I would set it that way with a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action. You may have to suppliment the light with your flash, which will have an impact on the colors. I adjust my colors with photoshop to counteract it. Just my two cents.