Bonaire

Guest hound66

Guest hound66

My girlfriend and I are going to Bonaire from 6-13 October. Does anybody have any suggestions for shore accessible snorkeling? Also interested in fishing and sailing lessons.

Thanks

wow bonaire. I just read a scuba magazine , and that place was voted best place to visit in the atlantic, also best off shore diving so I dont think it would be a problem to find one, just drive park dive....sorry I am of no help but its going to be nice enjoy.

Bonaire is great for their easy access reef which starts right from shore. They don't call it "Diver's Paradise" for nothing. Just rent a car, grab your gear and look for the yellow stones along the road that denote dive/snorkel sites. Be sure to visit "Jibe City" , where the bay there is perfect to learn windsurfing. The last time I went to Bonaire, we dove in the morning and went windsurfing in the afternoon every day. They also do flyfishing for Bonefish near Jibe City. My favorite dive there happened just off the shore of our resort, Plaza Resort, on a night dive. We were diving around 10pm on the reef when all of sudden, out of nowhere, a group of Tarpon (4 foot long silver fish) came in and started feeding on schools of fish shining in our lights. It was cool watching them zoom in and out of the light zone. I started feeling bad for the little fish so we moved away from the area. If you have time, get your SCUBA certification now, before you go. Once you get there you're going to wish you could. Have fun, I know you will.

Rick

We'll be missing you by a few weeks, heading down 10/21-10/28.

The place is fantastic for shore diving/snorkeling. All of the sites are marked by the side of the road, and most of them have similar profiles: sandy bottom with maybe some scattered staghorn to about 30 feet, then a gently sloping reef dominated by massives.

The best places for snorkeling would probably be at the north, because the shallows have a lot more corals, like elkhorn, big gorgonians and scattered brains. Many of those sites are better accessed by boat, because the shore is steep, but Jeff Davis Memorial (photos below) would be a really good choice for shore access and exceelent stuff in the shallows.

3184_elk.jpg

3183_seafan.jpg

I agree with Wreck. Get certified, and you will be able to enjoy the island a whole lot more. The reefs are in great shape (for the Caribbean) and the diving is easy (no serious currents, easy navigation). With SCUBA, you can get down to say hello to the garden eels :rollface:

3057_garden_eels.jpg

Guest hound66

Thank you everybody for the tips. We'll be staying at Den Lamen. I think we're going to stick to snorkeling and just enjoying a week away from everything here. I'll definitely look for the yellow markers though. Thats pretty nice they would do that. It'll be a great trip. :scuba:

Since you will have time on land, definitely head south to see the flamingos and the slave huts at the salt ponds, and save a day for a trip to Washington Slagbaai National Park. I won't be the only one to suggest them, and they're worth it. It's a pretty island, even if you don't spend all your time underwater.