T5 lamp configuration

zotzer

Well, it looks like I will be taking the plunge and setting up my own tank, versus the all-in-one idea.

I want to go with T5 lighting. In a 4-bulb fixture, what combination of lamps do people suggest? (actinic, blue, aquablue, sunlight.....seems like there are many choices!!)

I do not plan on keeping SPS corals.

I appreciate your help!!!

Tracy

Well, it looks like I will be taking the plunge and setting up my own tank, versus the all-in-one idea.

I want to go with T5 lighting. In a 4-bulb fixture, what combination of lamps do people suggest? (actinic, blue, aquablue, sunlight.....seems like there are many choices!!)

I do not plan on keeping SPS corals.

I appreciate your help!!!

Tracy

I have 1 420 blue(URI),1 10k(current),1 460 blue(current),1 actinic white(uri)...in this order from front of tank to rear.

Bryan

Tracy I'm a T5 user myself and love them!!! I would recommend a fixture that have individual bulb reflectors (i.e. http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/TX5.html there are other brands out there this is something to give you an idea). As far as bulbs I would go with:

Back 2 Front:

1XATI AquaBlue Special

1XUV Lighting AquaSun

1XUV Lighting Super Actinic

1XATI Blue Plus

or

1XATI AquaBlue Special

1XATI Blue Plus

1XUV Lighting AquaSun

1XATI Blue Plus

There are 2 TOTM's here, one is entirely T5 and the other one is all T5 + 1 VHO .

Raf

Tracy I'm a T5 user myself and love them!!! I would recommend a fixture that have individual bulb reflectors (i.e. http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/TX5.html there are other brands out there this is something to give you an idea). As far as bulbs I would go with:

Back 2 Front:

1XATI AquaBlue Special

1XUV Lighting AquaSun

1XUV Lighting Super Actinic

1XATI Blue Plus

or

1XATI AquaBlue Special

1XATI Blue Plus

1XUV Lighting AquaSun

1XATI Blue Plus

There are 2 TOTM's here, one is entirely T5 and the other one is all T5 + 1 VHO .

Raf

thanks raf...its UV lighting...not URI anymore....still call them uri from back in the 90's :lol:

Thanks Bryan and Raf!

And also thanks for the link to that fixture...it's pretty slick! I like the five-lamp configuration a lot.

Tracy

I'll endorse aquactinics fixtures. I have a Constellation for my 180g. I was going to buy one new when I started out, but jamesbuf happened to be breaking down his 180g and sold me one that was almost new. He'll tell you, too, it's great. I certainly like it a lot.

Thanks Bryan and Raf!

And also thanks for the link to that fixture...it's pretty slick! I like the five-lamp configuration a lot.

Tracy

I'll endorse aquactinics fixtures. I have a Constellation for my 180g. I was going to buy one new when I started out, but jamesbuf happened to be breaking down his 180g and sold me one that was almost new. He'll tell you, too, it's great. I certainly like it a lot.

second that... i just got a 36" aquactinics for my new 40g that i'm setting up... it appears to be a great fixture with excellent reflectors, and great build quality. Tom is also great to deal with. I'm definitely going to be picking up a 24" for my frag tank in a month or so.

currently i have it over my 20g holding tank, running

ATI Aquablue Special (12000K)

UVL Super Actinic

Geisemann Daylight (6000K)

Geisemann Actinic Plus

ATI Aquablue Special (12000K)

the light spread and blend is very even. i like it a lot so far.

I should have my coral into the holding tank tonight, i'll try and get some pics if anything is happy.

Edited by Charlie97L

the light spread and blend is very even. i like it a lot so far.

I should have my coral into the holding tank tonight, i'll try and get some pics if anything is happy.

That would be awesome! This board has been a godsend....everyone is so helpful!

I am really hoping to make it to the social tomorrow to meet some of you.

Tracy