Question about pump and heat

mexicanjavafish

I just got a 75 g tank, and I haven't started setting anything up yet but I'm worried about the heat in my house--it gets really warm in here sometimes. I want run a closed-loop system instead of having powerheads, and I was wondering if its going to make a huge difference in terms of heat if I submerge the pump or if I run it externally?

I just got a 75 g tank, and I haven't started setting anything up yet but I'm worried about the heat in my house--it gets really warm in here sometimes. I want run a closed-loop system instead of having powerheads, and I was wondering if its going to make a huge difference in terms of heat if I submerge the pump or if I run it externally?

First approximation, assume that whatever wattage the pump uses gets turned entirely into heat... would you mind have a heater that size working 24/7?

If you are already fighting the room temperature, then you might want to think twice about dunking the pump. If you have to buy a chiller to balance the (cheaper) submerged pump, then you are a long way from saving money!

I agree with Art. I have a submerged Mag 9.5 and it does add some heat to the tank. You can compensate for some heat using fans over your tank and/or fuge but it's better if you can just reduce the heat transfer in the first place.