Loss of Appetite in QT

alan mcilvried

I've two remaining fish in quarantine. Hennioccus died from ich.

Doing 1 gallon water change every other day and treating with cupramine and testing for copper level per instructions. Trying to clean uneaten food up off the bottom of the tank daily. Per a mix of recommendations I'm raising tank temp to 82-84 and am slowly dropping s.g. - eventually targeting 1.010. Currently 81 degrees and 1.019. Water quality look ok, but not crystal clear. Only running a filter pad in the HOB. No carbon.

Convict Blenny (Engineer Goby) and Coral Beauty are swimming around ok, but have stopped eating after the first day. Don't think it's related to copper, temp or salinity because I only just started that process after giving the fish a day to acclimate.

Today I tried adding a little crushed garlic to the HOB filter box about an hour before feeding, hoping it might stimulate their appetites. Gave them brine shrimp - which they normally go nuts for - but no interest.

Any other ideas. Hate to have them starve, and I can't put them back in the main tank until QT is over. Have tried brine, mysis, algea flakes and sinking pellets. I've read of folks putting in a cracked mussel. (fresh water mussel from the seafood counter?)

Thanks

Al

(edited)

Are you doing hyposalinity in the QT or dosing copper? I hope not both...

I started copper to try and curb the ich quickly. I'm lowering the salinity during water changes. Have dropped from 1.023 to 1.019 in 4 days. Should I stop the copper?

Edited by alan mcilvried

I would only do one or the other.

Have you seen this link...there is alot of good information.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j...treatments.html

Do you have an airstone in the tank? Raising temp lowers oxygen concentration and I believe the use of copper also affects oxygen concentration.

I'll add an airstone - that's an easy shot at it. My main tank hangs at about 80- 81 most of the time but has a lot more water movement.

Measurements of pH and ammonia?

Sorry, been busy for a bit. Ammonia between 0.25 to 0.5ppm tonight and Ph 8.2 Was doing water changes 1 gallon per day (10 gallon QT) Did a 3 gallon change day before yesterday because ammonia was starting to creep. Ammonia was 0 for the first few days when I transferred them. I took the water out of my main tank which is very stable.

I've stopped using copper.