T5 order just placed

Guest vatbrew

Guest vatbrew

ok, so the new setup will be like this:

actinic vho | T5 blue+ | T5 300k | actinic vho | T5 12000k | T5 blue+

vho's are 72", T5's are 60" and i'm thinking abot staggering them vs. centering

pictures before and after will be next week

I would stagger, but hey thats me and that's what I did :)

Dave

Guest vatbrew

there is a HUGE topic in RC about T5's and a couple people said they would center. The 6" won't make that much of a difference.

Edited by vatbrew

Guest vatbrew

T5's COME IN TOMORROW!!!! I'll update before and after pics tomorrow night after I wire them.

There's a bit difference between staggering and centering. Staggering actually helps with spreading lights to the end of tank while centering would have slight shadow on each end of tank. It's actually more of personal perference and would depends on what you plan to place on the end. Some people like to have centering so they can put low light/light sensitive species like mushroom and zoas in the end.

Guest vatbrew

I've got the lights installed in the hood now. But I'm having trouble with the placement of the ballasts. The would mount perfect to the backside of the tank stand, but I can't move back there. Anyone ever mount a ballast/heatsink on drywall? That seems like my only option. I can't mount under the tank, not enough slack in the wire.

Guest vatbrew

I've got the lights installed in the hood now. But I'm having trouble with the placement of the ballasts. The would mount perfect to the backside of the tank stand, but I can't move back there. Anyone ever mount a ballast/heatsink on drywall? That seems like my only option. I can't mount under the tank, not enough slack in the wire.

Here is what I did:

On my 40 frag I mounted the ballast to the side of the hood.

For my 180 I put a wood panel behind my tank, mounted that to the way, and then mounted stuff to that wood panel (including ballasts).

Dave

Me, I placed them on wood panel then inside of nice printer stand from staples. Only have to drill hole in back for wires- $29 for z-line black cabinet :)

Just make sure you have enough wires to run them around if ballast cannot be placed at convenient location. I had to use about 100 ft worth of wires just to extend the wiring from hood to ballasts...