T5 and IceCap Ballast Question

rooroo

I have an IceCap 430 running 2 36" T5s with reflectors. I've only had the bulbs going for a few weeks and they're already getting slightly blackened on the ends, meaning the bulbs are wearing out faster than I expected. I have canopy fans but normally only run them to cool the tank when it gets too warm. Should I be running these whenever the lights are on? I found with the VHOs that blowing cool air on them seemed to make the bulbs wear out faster, but I'm guessing the T5s are different.

Run your fans whenever the lights are on. You will get better par this way (for t-5 bulbs). Your bulbs are just warming up, don't worry about slighly discolored ends.

Hmm, I noticed the discolored ends last night after the bulbs had been running for some time. But I will switch the Aqua Controller to turn the fans on when the bulbs are on. Thanks.

New endcaps, new bulbs, they snap in well. Never get wet to my knowledge. It might just be the bulbs. I got a bad batch of VHOs that some would last a month and burn out, which was more likely the problem than blowing fans on them. Anyway, I'll try turning the fans on and see how they do.

I don't know how black your are talking, but to me it's more about the light output... if you want you can come and borrow my par meter and take a reading...

Definitly run fans all the time when you are overdriving T5 bulbs.

Dave

I think I'll take you up on that offer Dave. It would be interesting to see what the par is for the tank anyway. I'll let you know when I have time to come get it and get a quick lesson on how to use it.

The one time you can't have it is between the 15th and the 20th... (I'm lending it to Doug on the 15th and getting it back at the meeting on the 20th)... other than that you are good.

Dave

I'd probably just borrow it for a weekend. Probably not this weekend as we're doing some painting. I'll let you know though.

ROOROO,

Do you have an acrylic shield on your bulbs.......what type of fans are you using.....tank mount or fixture mount????

Not to get this thread sidetracked......but i was wondering the same things about my t-5's

Thanks

Bryan

(edited)

I don't have an acrylic shield. I used to but replaced it with an eggcrate cover. I'm sure this limits the light reaching the tank but it makes me feel better to have something covering the tank.

I think the fans are basically computer fans. My dad told me what to order and he installed them. There is one on each side of the canopy, and the back of the canopy is competely open. Here's a picture of the canopy and fans before we installed the T5s:

IMG_1083.jpg

You can see the old acrylic cover too.

Edited by rooroo