Source of copepods and amphipods ?

djcerna

My 65-gallon reef tank with 15 gal refugium has almost finished cycling. I would like to add some copepods and amphipods. Where do I get them? I will be adding two clowns and other smaller fish later. Just want to start establishing the system.

Thanks,

David

Best way I know is to get some chaeto and/or sand from an established reef.

Dave

That would be great. I'll PM you later when we get closer to the meeting.

david

My currently fish less nano is being overrun with all types of pods. I'd be happy to siphon up a few for you and bring them to the meeting.

Chris

Edited by djcerna

sorry - just starting myself - what is cheasto (spelling?)

Chaetomorpha (sp?) is a macro algea, also called spagetti algea. Looks like a bunch of wires.

People keep it in their refugiums.

2nd more expensive way - buy some tigger pods - BRk stocks them. I just added some Sunday. Great product.

2nd that - they are worth it. I bought a bottle and was trying to breed them in a 10 gallon tank, but then forgot to feed them... anyway - they exploded in population after just a few weeks.

Guest Bethesda_Jim

Yeah, but how do you keep the population under control? Besides not feeding them that is. :cheers:

2nd that - they are worth it. I bought a bottle and was trying to breed them in a 10 gallon tank, but then forgot to feed them... anyway - they exploded in population after just a few weeks.

Djcerna,

HI! I have Chaeto that I was just thinking that I needed to trade or pass on. We live in Gaithersburg and my DH works in Rockville. Would you still want some? Let me know.

Edited by hbh

Yeah, but how do you keep the population under control? Besides not feeding them that is. :cheers:

Not sure if you are kidding or not... I'm not sure "too many" pods would be a problem... but, just get a mandarin or other pod eating creature... ;)