Help me decide...

mosheikh

Hi, at the left side my sand is clean...and my left side of the tank its starting to get small peices of green algae on the sand...Do you know anyway of stopping this...My levels are fine except my phosphate...its a little bit high but im taking care of that already...Would canister filters help?

Im thinking of getting this one : http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product....2+22777

Is there any other thing i can do to make my tanks water clean and clear?

btw....can i just buy a refugium full of chateo (hang on type) with a small lighting clipped on it..would that help also?

Thanks

Go with the fuge first. And dont bother wasting money on those expensive hang ons. Just get a kitchen sink size tub from walmart, about 5 buks, drill a hol ein it for a bulkhead for water to overflow into tank of sump, and then use a MJ 400 to pump water into it and fill it with southdown, and get some macro when someone is prunning.

Canister filters end up being Phosphate and NO3 or 2 I cant remember  spnges after a short while. Theyre good for running carbon and making water movement but steer away if your trying to get rid of nuisance algae.

Just my  .02

Guest bill33
get a    shoplight at walamrt for 10bucks  there 13 watt pc 6500k   working good for me

IME, refugiums really do nothing for algea in your tank.  Refugiums are great for adding biodiversity and do act as a nutrient sink for certain types of aglea, but they generally can't starve algea from a main tank.  You need to find the source of the what the algea is feeding on, which it seems you have a good start.

Guest tgallo
I agree with Pez, but dont expect it to be gone overnite, these things take time to get rid of so dont pull your hair out over it.

Well, I dont want to be the bad guy, but every tank I have had I have always waited for the hair algae to come, then throw on a fuge and within a month algae gone forever. Now what was causing it? I dont or never will know. Maybe over feeding the fuge is eating, or excess something the fuge is eating. But I guess everyones experience differs. And for about 20buks total, its worth the shot.