Weird BT trigger behavior

Ne0eN

This morning Pam noticed some odd behavior with her Blue Throat trigger in her 260g reef. Anyone has any clues what he's up to?

"Last night my male BT Trigger seemed to be absolutely fine and eating. This morning (around 9am) he was lying on his side with his tail slightly curved up (like a dead fish). He was staying still not moving anything except for his eyes (which were following me). He was so pathetic looking :(

He is usually one of the first fish to be active in the tank each day. I watched him but he did not do anything. He was not even tucked into a crevice. He was just lying on the substrate.

Two hours later he was still on the bottom of the tank. I checked water parameters which all seem to be ok. Finally once I moved the covers off of the tank, he started swimming around the tank in a strange way. He always swims in weird fish patterns (compared to other fish I have) so I don

Finally once I moved the covers off of the tank, he started swimming around the tank in a strange way.

This seems to be the signifigant statement... I'm wondering if he was oxygen deprived.

Dave

This seems to be the signifigant statement... I'm wondering if he was oxygen deprived.

Dave

Wouldn't the skimmer provide sufficient oxygenation? Also there is a refugium on a reverse light cycle. Does anyone here regularly test for dissolved oxygen?

-- Rob

I was interested, so I looked. Took me less than 5 minutes to find the following:

" the blue-throat trigger has started exhibiting odd behavior. He lies down at the bottom of the tank on his right side, and just lays very still for long periods on time.

<<Maybe not all that "odd" after all. Is there live rock in this tank? (should be if there isn't)...Does this tank have any type of decor/rock work? These triggers will very often "rest" in a hole or crevice in the reef during the day, and definitely at night. If the tank is not suitably aquascaped the trigger may be merely "resting" on the bottom of the tank>> "

See, http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trigbehfaqs.htm

So, my guess is, after reading this, no biggie. Normal behavior. Carry on.

Yeah, that was my guess too. I told Pam that he was probably 'resting' after a rough night... :biggrin:

I'll go over there and do a 10% water change just in case.

-- Rob

Would be good to check it out anyway. Although this may be "normal" it may not be "normal" to find him there even with the owner wandering around. So, maybe a bit more resting than just normal resting. Or, it was just comfy where it was and didn't want to move. . . I get that way sometimes! :)

Actually, I think he thought I was going to feed him. I lift the covers off to feed the fish and as soon as I do, the Triggers are always the first in line-I guess he didn't want to be late.

He is still fine and swimming around.

There is plenty of live rock and crevices for him (and all of the fish to hide). He has quite a few places he likes to tuck himself into usually-that is why I found the bottom of the tank to be such a wierd place to pick to nap.

--Pam

Dave

It is not unusual for mine(cross hatches) to do barrel rolls and other odd antics. Such has been the norm for 18 months. I have yet to find them parking on the tank bottom, but to say that my tank is cavern aquascaped would be an understatement :) .....not to mention, the Tunze streams and a bare bottom tank don't allow them to park in the open too easily :p

Guest fishwish

It is not unusual for mine(cross hatches) to do barrel rolls and other odd antics.

You have cross hatch triggers??!!! OOoooooOOOOohhhhh!!!! Where did you get them??

And thanks for the post, Pam and Rob. Good to know the odd behavior.