why are they dieing

Guest bill33

Guest bill33

hey, my gramma died, and my angel is dieing

i finaly got a ro/di unit at the symposium, everything was better with it, i did a water change and in the mourning my gramma was dead and my angel is dieing. i have done water changes before. i used the clean water from the ro/di end, and i made sure the unclean side went over the deck.

what do you think is going on???

thanks

Bill

Guest bill33
the water parimiters are perfect the sg- is 1.023-24

pH shock?  check a batch of salcensord.gifer after mixing.  Airation for 1-2 days minimal is what I try to do before using the saltmix for the tanks.  What are you measuring the salinity with?  Is there a change?  Check tank salinity as well.  Was the unit you picked up new or used?  When you say the angel is dying, describe it's condition more thoroughly.  Check ammonia and nitrite as well.  Did you warm the water to tank temp?  How much did you change out?

Michael

Guest bill33
its a 55gallon, i do a 5gallon water change every 2 weeks, the ph is 8.2 then i did a water change now its 8.2-8.3ish i use a hydrometer that has a swing arm, they are they same temp maybe like 1-2 degrees off, the angel is under a rock breathing heavily

Guest reverai

I know R/O is suppose to get rid chorine in the water but when fish die so quickly from a water that is what I would look at since it only takes about 20 minutes to kill freshwater fish with water than that still chorine in it so perhaps the R/O failed in some way. I wouldn't do any more water changes with that R/O until I looked at this as the water parms would fine other than this aspect.

Steve

Guest va_reefman

Did you discard the first 5-10 gallons of good water coming out of the RO unit when you first hook it up?  This is neccessary in order to flush out all the stuff that they put in with the membrane.  I think the instruction on all these unit recommend so.

HTH,

John

Guest bill33

no i didnt discard the first batch of water, i never did that with all my water changes,

update, angel is dead so is my butterfly.

:(

Guest bill33
i have been doin water changes every 2 weeks and that water change is just killing everything. i might just set up a 29 reef, it i'll be saving my money.

Guest bill33
update, the tomato clown and sailfin tang are dead,  i have a chromis and lion still left. what is going on

I would take a sample of your water to a good fish store in your area and have them run every test they can on the water.  Also have your some freshly made saltwater tested.  Especially for chlorine and ammonia.  Something is really wrong here, and it must be in the water.  Until you find out what it is, I would be reluctant to do another water change- but at the same time, I would recommend a massive water change with good water.  It is the only chance you have.  I would do 10 gallon changes every other day for 2 weeks.  I think what reverai or va_reefman suggested would fit with the problem you are seeing.  Out of curiosity- what was the most recent fish added, and when?

What Va Reefman was saying is that with a brand new RO/DI unit you need to throw away the first 5-10 gallons of water it produces. Sounds like some chemical residue of some sort from that first batch of water out of the RO/DI, might not be any chemical that you can easily test for. My inclination would be to dilute whatever you put in- but if the source was the 5 g water change I am not sure that I'd consider another large water change with out determmining the source. Assume all params- such as nitrogens, are good as well as the PH salinity and temp. How are corals if any looking- When you run a system that close to fully bio-loaded it can not adjust to new changes very easily- Just no buffer room- like you would have in a tank with more volume. That was a fairly large mix of fish for a 55g tank.

Guest bill33
i did take a sample of water to my good lfs, they said it was perfect, i added a gramma about 2 weeks ago, i used the ro/di unit for my other sw tank and it was fine.

Bill,

Is this the unit you purchased off of me? The water was coming out fine, I ran about 50 gallons through the unit before I sold it to you, the filters where all new and I had no problems with it, I don't think its the unit. Has anyone accidentally spilled anything into the tank? This is awful!

I just purchased a Lab Quality Conductivity Meter off of Andrey and if you like, we can test your water quality through the unit and see if that actually is the problem! Maybe, I can catch you some evening this week? If you like, I can bring some processed water down to get you started in the mean time.

Howard

Guest bill33
ya its the ro/di i bought from you, i dont think its the unit, i think my dad put the water outside when it was raining

Bill,

Rain water shouldn't be the problem, UNLESS it was coming from run off from the roof, wilth leave build ups, I sure the high acidity would not bod well it that is the case?

Howard

Guest bill33
ya i guess, all the fish were doing great then the water change and the all were going one by one

Guest bill33

no im getting rid of it so i can get a 29 reef, the 55 would cost me so much money, the lights alone that i was thinking of getting were like $350, when i sell all my equipment and with the money i was saving i could of had a pretty nice setup

Bill