Will this keep a jumper from suicide?

Guest JFish

Guest JFish

I am receiving a Scotts Fairy Wrasse through FFExpress tomorrow morning and I have heard they're jumpers...I made a little shield to keep it in just in case...It is gutter guard material, made to keep leaves out of gutters...it is surrounding the entire perimeter of the tank and is 6 inches high...will this keep a jumping wrass in or will it jump over it?

Thanks...here's pics:

fishsaver.JPG

fishsaver2.JPG

Let me know,

If you're happy with the way it looks, it definitely should work.  Egg crate might be a bit more aesthetically pleasing though.

Guest JFish

So you're saying it looks bad?  :D

I don't really mind it all that much, and all I have to do to work in the tank is push the front middle back and hook it to a clip knob on the refugium that hangs on the back...I'd much rather the black of this mesh over the eggcrate...I can't stand eggcrate.

Anyways...update on the wrasse...I went to fedex this morning hoping it was there as I recieved no tracking number or an e-mail stating they shipped it.  It was there, I took it home and started acclimating...that fish is huge... 5 inches when it's supposed to be 3 (according the website)  It is very pretty but hid all day and came out once that I saw after the meeting today and another time just a couple minutes ago when I turned on the light in the room to check on things...he's a very cool and pretty fish.  Hopefully he'll become less shy and I can take a picture of him.

Guest JFish

I have fed twice today and both times the wrasse has come out to eat...he is very pretty and very shy right now but a good eater.  I was expecting a much smaller fish and now I'm wondering if my tank is large enough for him.

Question...

In all of the pictures I've seen of them they have a patch on the side of them that is yellow but mine does not...is that only there when they're spawning or something?  Just wondering...Also...aren't wrasses open water swimmers?  Mine seems to perch himself in the caves of the LR and when there is food he then comes out and swims...

Just an update and some q's,

The picture I have of them has a red patch with yellow near the fins.  However, the male and female fishes have different coloration.

-T

Guest JFish
yeah.. red.. i couldn't remember if it was red or yellow...anyways.. he comes out a lot more now... still a little shy but not too bad.  He doesn't have much swimming room in my tank because he's 2 inches larger than I expected... He is lacking the red blotch on the side.... Is that a spawning characteristic or a juvenile characteristic because i am sure mine is an adult male... brilliant colors like the pics just lacking the red blotch on side.  Also has a really cool flourescent blue streak from the tip of his mouth down to under his belly... I will give a second feeding in a few minutes and get some pics of him to let you all see,