WAMAS Tank of the Month

A few introductory words – This is truly a great honor. Thank you WAMAS! Although I had freshwater fish growing up, I never thought I would have the skills to keep saltwater fish, let alone coral. With the rise of the internet and forums, the spread of knowledge has made this hobby accessible to the masses. This hobby challenges and stimulates me with its mix of biology, chemistry, plumbing, electronics, programming (apex) and photography.

I started out this tank in 2015 as a FOWLR and progressed to adding some LPS in 2016, then started to add SPS shortly thereafter. Water movement is provided by a Waveline DC6000 return pump (but only running at the 2nd to lowest setting), 2 Vortech MP40wQDs at opposite sides of the tank pointed at each other, one set at constant (55% day, 40% night), and the other set at reefcrest (45% day, 30% night).

For lighting I use 2 Radion XR30w Gen3 Pros with diffusers. I previously used 2 BuildMyLED 20000k strips which were fine for my FOWLR and then the LPS, but the SPS needed more light.

Simplicity DC120 skimmer (just switched over from Avast Pegleg 180 – I think it was oversized for my tank), Turbo Aquatics L2 Rev 4 algae scrubber, GAC in a Phosban 150.

BRS 2-part

I still love fish more than corals. The white tail bristletooth tang is my favorite, but is kind of a bully. I love my two puffers as well. The blue spot kind of lets me pet him. The 2 longnose hawkfish are characters and crack me up because they seem to be clumsy and perch on all my corals/pumps/each other.

Nori in the am, NLS pellets twice during the day, Hikari mysis/LRS Reef Frenzy in the evening, followed by live blackworms.

Fought dinos for a long time, then cyano, then turf algae. Things have finally stabilized and the main challenge now is finding/clearing out room so that I can add more corals. :)

No major plans, livestock wise. I would like to run a pump with manifold to feed my reactors, algae scrubber, and a uv sterilizer.

I would like to thank this wonderful community for all the great knowledge, friendship, used equipment, and frags!

• 10 am – 9 pm
    1 hr ramp up to 55% of 60R, 60G, 100B, 100RB, 100UV, 60CW
    1 hr ramp down

• Salinity: 1.025-1.026
  • Temperature: 79°F
  • Alkalinity: 8.0 dkH
  • Calcium: 425 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1350 ppm
  • Phosphate: .30ppm (you read that right – maybe why some of the acros are browning)
  • Nitrate: 20ppm

• Display: 75g Marineland RR DT
  • Sump: Eshopps R200 30 gallon
  • Skimmer: Simplicity DC120 (just switched from Avast Pegleg 180)
  • Lighting: 2 Radion XR30w Gen3 Pro with diffusers
  • Return Pump: Waveline DC6000
  • Circulation: 2 Vortech MP40wQD
  • Reactors: Turbo Aquatics L2 Rev 4 algae scrubber, GAC in a Phosban 150

• White Tail Bristletooth Tang (favorite)
  • Burgessi Butterflyfish
  • Bicolor Angel
  • Pair Longnose Hawkfish
  • Blue Spot Puffer
  • Valentini Puffer
  • Pair ocellaris clownfish

• Garf Bonsai (favorite)
  • Hawkins echinata
  • Cali tort
  • Red planet
  • PC Rainbow
  • Rainbow monti