WAMAS Tank of the Month

This is such an honor to be selected and I would like to thank WAMAS and all members for the nomination and recognition. I’ve been in the hobby for 4 years and I’ve been a WAMAS member right from the beginning. WAMAS is a great club with so many great members willing to help out no matter what time of day.

This is a 300 gallon custom built acrylic with external overflow on the back. The tank is sitting on the first floor in the living room against the wall. I’m addicted to acropora so this tank is SPS dominated with mostly angels and tangs.

My tank requires lots of flow so I use 2 MP40s on one side of the tank, and on the other side I use a WP40 and an FX150 Gyre pump. I use a Reeflo Dart for the return pump.

I started out with 6 Evergrow D120s. After a few months I noticed some of my SPS browned out at the base and the sides. I also disliked haing some dark spots in the tank so I added 4 T5s (2 Fiji purple, 2 blue plus). Although T5s did a great job of filling in the dark spots and improving the colors, I didn’t notice much improvement in growth. A few months ago I removed 3 of the Evergrow D120s and replaced them with 2 double-end 14k MH. Immediately I saw a big improvement in growth and coloration of my SPS. I’m now debating whether to remove all the T5s or LEDs or just leave it the way it is.

I use an ATI Bubble Master 250 skimmer, lots of live rock, and sand for filtration. I also dose vinegar to help with nitrates and phosphates.

I Dose KZ amino acids and Pohl’s Xtra weekly. My calcium reactor takes care of calcium, alk and mag.

I have mostly acropora frags and colonies. Some of them are wild and some are maricultured. My favorite corals are spathulata and tabling acros, and my wall hammer.

I feed twice a day; once in the morning and once at night. I mainly feed Mysis shrimps, but sometimes nori, Formula 2 flakes, and NLS pellets.

Being patient is the most challenging aspect of the hobby for me. I’ve learned a few hard, valuable lessons by not being patient.

I plan on rearranging my rocks to make the tank look better and, most importantly, to make room for more SPS.

Sometime this hobby is so addicting that it’s bad for you. It can lead you to spend money without knowing how much you spent until you receive the credit card statement at the end of the month and you realized just how much damage you just did. The damage can be so bad that you have to hide the statement from your spouse!

• Display: 300g acryclic
  • Sump: 2 40g breeders
  • Skimmer: ATI 250 BM Mod with BB 10000 pump
  • Lighting: 3 D120 LEDs, 4 80w T5s, 2 DE 250w MH
  • Return Pump: Reeflo Dart
  • Circulation: 2 MP40, WP40, FX150 Gyre
  • Reactor: Geo Calcium with 2nd chamber

• Salinity: 1.025
  • Temperature: 78-80°F
  • Alkalinity: 8-9 dkH
  • Calcium: 400-420ppm
  • Magnesium: 1400ppm