WAMAS Tank of the Month

Thank you very much for the nomination. In this hobby we all strive to one day be considered for TOTM so being selected is a humongous honor for me. I joined WAMAS in 2011 when I first got into the saltwater hobby. I have learned a lot here and have met some great people along the way. This truly is an amazing club.

My current tank is a 200DD (48x36x27) SPS tank on the main level of my townhouse. It’s the first thing you see when you walk through the front door. I’m a fan of SPS corals; mostly because they grow fast and that gives me a feel of accomplishment.

I‘m using a Waveline 6000 return pump and six Jebao WP-25s for water movement.

The tank is lit by four Ocean Revive Arctic-S026 units with everything on 100%. Overall I’m happy with the lights, and I don’t see myself changing them out for anything else.

My filtration is pretty simple. I use a Bubble Magus 220cs skimmer and a small refugium to grow chaetomorpha, mostly to replenish pods. I stopped using filter socks, carbon, and GFO 6 months ago. I found it a real nuisance to constantly change them out. The worst part of this hobby for me is the maintenance involved, so the less I have to do, the more I can enjoy the tank. I do 30 gallon water changes every 2 weeks using Instant Ocean salt and clean my skimmer weekly.

I use BRS additives to maintain my parameters using my Reef Keeper and BRS dosing pumps. I do have a Jebao auto dosing pump that I need to set up.

I like my fish just as much as my corals. I have two purple tangs, a blue hippo tang, a foxface, a Scott’s fairy wrasse, a pair of flame wrasses, a pair of spotted cardinals, a pair of clowns, a red head solon wrasse, a green mandarin, and a carberryi anthias. My favorite is the green mandarin, but I also like tangs and wrasses. They always greet me when I come home.

I have tried a variety of different foods. I like LRS frozen and Ocean Nutrition pellets, and so do my fish.

My biggest challenge is controlling bubble algae in the tank. I recently added a foxface to hopefully eliminate it. My eight emerald crabs don’t seem to eat it. Second is keeping my acans happy. I can’t seem to keep their vibrant colors like when I first got them.

I would like to thank everyone for letting me share my tank with you. My tank wouldn’t be what it is today without this club. Big thumbs up and reef on.

• Salinity: 1.026
  • Temperature: 79°F
  • Alkalinity: 8 dkH
  • Calcium: 400ppm
  • Magnesium: 1200ppm

• Display: 200 DD
  • Sump: Acrylic (40x16x16)
  • Skimmer: Bubble Magus 220cs
  • Lighting: 4 Ocean Revive Actic S-026
  • Return Pump: Waveline 6000
  • Circulation: 6 Jebao WP-25

• Purple tang (2)