Hose barb not in all the way...

EricBrian

As you can see here:

diy_sump_bulkhead_6.png

I can't seem to get the hose barb in all the way. Any suggestions?

Thanks

For one thing, you better get some teflon tape on that thread. Otherwise, it is not watertight.

LOL

Michael

As you can see here:

diy_sump_bulkhead_6.png

I can't seem to get the hose barb in all the way. Any suggestions?

Thanks

i have rubbed a little bit of the skimmer gunk and pushed the hose into the barb... or u can take the barb of the bulkhead and pushe the hose into it.

Most threaded fittings don't actually go in all the way. As long as you've got teflon tape on the threads and screw it in BY HAND tight, you should be good to go.

If you think a loose threaded fitting leaks, just wait until you overtighten one with a wrench and the bulkhead cracks a week later when you think everything is good to go.

Hand tight is right on.

Jon

Most threaded fittings don't actually go in all the way. As long as you've got teflon tape on the threads and screw it in BY HAND tight, you should be good to go.

If you think a loose threaded fitting leaks, just wait until you overtighten one with a wrench and the bulkhead cracks a week later when you think everything is good to go.

Hand tight is right on.

Jon

Eric, all PVC fittings are tapered, so that as you screw them in they get tighter and tighter. Wrap the threads with 2-3 wraps of teflon tap and get in in hand tight and a wrench no more than 1/2 turn.

You can always put a wrench on it again if you need to, but as Jon mentioned above just a 1/2 turn too much and crack! But then again you did opt for those heavy duty bulkheads that have much more give than the plastic ones.

John

Eric, all PVC fittings are tapered, so that as you screw them in they get tighter and tighter. Wrap the threads with 2-3 wraps of teflon tap and get in in hand tight and a wrench no more than 1/2 turn.

You can always put a wrench on it again if you need to, but as Jon mentioned above just a 1/2 turn too much and crack! But then again you did opt for those heavy duty bulkheads that have much more give than the plastic ones.

John

Yeah, I have no problem with the bulkheads... they are right on. :)

I just didn't know that they weren't meant to go in all the way. Yes, I have teflon to wrap around it... I was just trying the fit.

Thanks all for the info.

BTW, Johnny, the bit was perfectly round and I was amazed at how clean the cut was. I'll probably get a couple more of those bulkheads. :-)

Another tip... tighten the barp fitting into the bulk head when it's off the tank. This way you don't risk cracking the glass. :hammer:

Like everyone else suggested, always use teflon tape, wrapping it in the same direction as you would screw in the barb fitting. You an also put a dab of silicone on the outside part of the bulkead, when you install it on the tank (the gasket goes on the inside). And the bulhead nut is the nut that you want to hand tighten only! To put the end of a hose on a barb fitting, warm up the hose-end in hot water for a minute. C'est tous! :cheers:

-- Rob

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. <---- comment deleted, does not apply to this type of barb.

Also, put some teflon on the barb, together you will have a nice tight fit. Good Luck

Jacob

Like everyone else suggested, always use teflon tape, wrapping it in the same direction as you would screw in the barb fitting.

-- Rob

I alway thought you wrapped the tape the opposite way of the treads? Is that not true?

agree with Bob, I believe or at least that is how I been doing it for as long as I remember, tape goes against counter-clock-wise the screw in.

To be completely honest, it doesn't really matter. Once you get the tape on the fitting just press it gently with your finger and you are good to go. I have wrapped the teflon both ways and it works just the same either way.

To be completely honest, it doesn't really matter. Once you get the tape on the fitting just press it gently with your finger and you are good to go. I have wrapped the teflon both ways and it works just the same either way.

BB I am sure there is no issue with either way, but an old plumber tought me over 20 years ago to do it that way, and I always done it that way. but coming to think of it, I guess you are right, it does not matter since the barb has no screwing directions.

I alway thought you wrapped the tape the opposite way of the treads? Is that not true?

Hmm, never heard that one... Doing some research came across one reference:

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemainten...eral/teflon.php

"Which direction should Teflon tape be wrapped?

* Start wrapping the male threads at end of the pipe but do not lap over the end. Doing so may result in reduced water pressure or even clogs from bits of the tape that get into the water supply.

* Start with a couple loops around at the end, then wrap all the threads, overlapping half the width of the tape on each wind.

* Wrap in the direction of the threads starting from the end and proceeding toward the length of the pipe. Wrapping the wrong way may result in the tape coming unwound as the fittings are tightened.

* As you wrap, keep tension on the tape so that it is pulled into the threads.

* If you loosen or disconnect a fitting, remove the old tape and rewrap with a fresh piece."

-- Rob