Tank to Sump turnover per hour

flowerseller

This is my first question in the "flow series" that I'd like to hear about.

I've been thinking lately about my turn over rate and hope to get more than a second opinion.

I'm more interested in GPH of water that goes from the Tank to the Sump per hour.

I'd like to know the size of your system (total water volume)

And your flow rate per hour between the two.

If you want to share why or what your have added into it, like fuge or frag tank, that's fine too.

Please don't be shy, I'm not looking for a right or correct answer.

Just numbers.

Thanks for participating,

also look at fuge turnover per hour

Main display holds approx 260gallons of water.

Measured flow from returns just under 2,000gph, but goes up near 3,300 when I shut the skimmer bypass off for cleaning, etc.

Edit: Whoops, total system volume is 260gal in display + 40gal in sump + 15gal in Remote DSB = approx 315gals

Main pump is Sequence Barracuda for return, skimmer branched off main, skimmer drains into Remote DSB.

Edit#2: 3x6100 Tunze streams in display for circ :D

I've been thinking lately about my turn over rate and hope to get more than a second opinion.

I'm more interested in GPH of water that goes from the Tank to the Sump per hour.

I'd like to know the size of your system (total water volume)

And your flow rate per hour between the two.

If you want to share why or what your have added into it, like fuge or frag tank, that's fine too.

Please don't be shy, I'm not looking for a right or correct answer.

Just numbers.

Thanks for participating,

Chip that's what I want to know but don't know how to figure it out.

90G Display + 20G Sump + 5G HOB Fuge (has it's own pump)

2X1.5" Drilled Overflows into the sump

1X3/4" return to SCWD split into 2X3/4" into tank from a MAG18 at about 4.5" up from the sump.

I might have confused you as I am confussed now myself :why:

It will be awesome if you could help me figure out or give a step by step on how/what math formulas I need to understand it.

Raf

Main display holds approx 260gallons of water.

Measured flow from returns just under 2,000gph, but goes up near 3,300 when I shut the skimmer bypass off for cleaning, etc.

MAIN DISPLAY 75, SUMP APPROX 50G 1200 GPH

250 display and 65 frag tank hooked to a common sump.

~3000 gph to display and ~1000gph to the frag tank. Water flows through my sump quite fast. My skimmer has it's own pump and it sits in the sump.

Tank = 150g

Sump = 30g

Flow through the sump is in the area of 700gph. That's really just a guess, pump outperforms specs & I haven't measured the actual flow :)

I can give you a why (disclaimer - see tag line). I can't see any real benefit to massive flow through the sump. Well, really more flow than your skimmer & "others" can handle. Skimmer handles roughly 475gph & I need some for the fuge, anything beyond 600 - 700gph doesn't get me anything - so why waste the electricity?

Now in tank is an entirely different story, closing in on 7000gph IN the tank.

90 gallon display.

20 gallon long divided into sump, fuge, with return chamber on middle.

Total flow ~500 gph, with input from overflow split between sump and fuge. Sump gets maybe 300 gph, fuge ~200 gph.

Chip,

I thought I read a while back that:

Lighting for non-SPS corals up to 5 watts per gal, SPS Corals 5-10 watts per gal+.

Sump Flow to tank 10x water turnover per hr.

Tank Flow 15-25gph

With my MAG18 1800gph going to my 90g tank and 30g frag tank, I'm getting or going to get about 10gph turnover with 6' head height. This to me works great with 15w UV Sterilizer doing slow flow and your Downdraft Skimmer now running on it's own MAG9.5 and doing fine. The water will enter through the 1" Seaswirl when I get it all completed.

But for actual tank flow, I hope to add a Tunze Nano when they come available or Stream if I can get a good deal on one soon? This should kick the tank flow up to what I want there!

54 display > 30 equipment sump > 28 fuge: 500 gph flow. I went 10x display turnover to get 20x fuge turnover and I still actually need more flow in my fuge to get things tumbling the way I want. Display turnover at 30x seems to be working for now but, think I could get it up to 40x without my sand blowing all over.

150 G display --> 10 gal pre-sump w/ skimmer --> 55 gal divided into dsb/fuge and return area. Iwaki 70 rlt throttled down quite a bit - about 10 ft vertical, 15 ft horizontal head as far as head loss. I estimate approx 1000 gph.

As for rationale -- the goal is to max flow w/ min noise. I agree with ErikS. My skimmer uses only approx 240 (mj900 to T1000) and my dsb/fuge gets about 400, so most of what goes through my sump is for circ only. Putting the sump in the basement allows me the luxory of a powerful pump, but a serious design flaw in my system (3 1" bulkheads plumbed through horizontal overflow) limits the amount I can drain without getting the toilet-bowl / waterfall / sucking sound effect. I also have a CL on the tank running off of a BL 40 rxlt under the tank stand(so another 1100 gph), plus 2 mj1200s. I could go with a larger pump for the CL but then would deal w/ noise trade-off.

Bottom line - I should have ordered bigger holes in my tank.

On my 360 I run an Iwaki md-40 rated at 1200 gph running though a Super squirt. It also tees off to feed my fuge. Dont know the exact with head loss and all but you get the idea.

I see alot of numbers being thown out here but wonder about actual flow....for instance just because you are using a MAG 18 does not mean you are flowing 1800g/h.....there is head loss and backpressure because of bends in the pipe...not to mention the actual flow thew the overflow teeth/drain.

I run a 90gal display with a 29gal sump

I have 20" of overflow and a 1.5" durso but the amount of water flowing down the to sump is no where near the rated flow rate of the durso even though I have no angles on the drain and the durso, bulkhead, and drain to sump are all 1.5"

The return pump from the sump to the display is via an Ehiem 1262 that I have connected to 1" pvc that splits to 2x3/4" lines back to the display.

I do not know how much flow I am getting or how often my water is being turned over but since the ball valve on the return from the Ehiem pump is most of the way shut and the top of the tank is over 5" know I know I am not getting 900gph at zero head (Max Delivery Head: 11`6") which is the Max pump output nor am i flowing the 1200g/h over the overflow and down the durso.....

does anyone have a flow meter

kngfisher, it shouldn't require a flow meter, simply measure the number of gallons coming out of your return pipe or overflow pipe (whatever is easier) over a given amount of time. 1 gallon/10seconds=6gpm=360gph.

BTW what are your numbers Chip? :biggrin:

280 display

70 sump

40 gal frag

1200 gph pump feeding display and frag, but frag tank dumps into sump - so about 900-1000gph through sump? Addition from closed loops and tunzes.

180 display 40 gall breeder sump, 29 gallon refugium.

I'm flowing ~2000gal/hour through my sump (which is about all my drains can handle) (2 mag 18s).

Dave

I have a 220h display tank, a 30g breeder frag tank and a 30g sump with about 20g in it.

I pump 550gph to my skimmer and the rest splits to to the main display and the 30b frag tank.

I figure 150gph to the frag, as much as 1300 to the display. This may well change.

I'm adding a 8g fuge I made from one at Kngfishers and a 25g cube for my mangrove display.

I'm finishing up and moving to a 50g sump during.

I hope to pull the water from the existing pump so I continue to run just one pump and am looking for what volumes of turn over is being used.

I plan to move about 100gph through the mangrove cube and undecided about the flow volume for

fuge right now. (maybe 50-75gph) with a small amount of sand.

I have a ton of circulation in the tank itself as well as the frag tank.

Shouldn't we be trying to understand the turnover rate per hour of the total water, not just how many GPH?

Mine:

70 gallon tank

1 gallon skimmer

4 powerheads totaling 1100gph brand new, clean, out of the box

Assuming 10% degradation = ~1000gph

Equals 14.08 times per hour turnover

-Carl

Shouldn't we be trying to understand the turnover rate per hour of the total water, not just how many GPH?

-Carl

It depends what you're trying to understand.

I'm asking for GPH "tank to sump turn over".

So for me it would be 1300gph on a 220 (with a water system of 270ish gallons)

and

150gph on a 30b (with a water system of 270ish gallons)

This has nothing to do with circulation inside the tank itself. Different topic ?