Only Nems Allowed

MariSoula

I’ve been toying with the idea of a nem only tank for a while now. Mostly because I love nems but don’t like the stingy effect on my zoas. So today, it has begun! I got a Fluval Evo 13.5 with skimmer today! I bought a gooseneck clamp lamp and an ABI 23w Tuna Blue Coral Reef Optimized PAR38 bulb. That idea came from another forum and from the Maritza vase tank (if you haven’t seen that look it up).

Have also wanted a black sand tank forever so I caved this time! Hoping it’ll make the nem colors pop!

Set it all up today. Now it’s time to sit back and excruciatingly wait for it to cycle.

b206388e622a10ffcb549b7a4da1bf07.jpg2dc3efb6b8b771a080d083549549fde7.jpg790e5264dbf789c0e3fe3832995242f0.jpgcbfb83edd5b3915def21c56677e094e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! 

Which black sand did you get?  There was one going around for a while that had excessive Nickel and Vanadium in it, but I think it's been removed from the market.

Very nice! 

Which black sand did you get?  There was one going around for a while that had excessive Nickel and Vanadium in it, but I think it's been removed from the market.
https://wamas.org/forums/topic/87874-icp-test-results-are-in/

Tahitian Moon Sand was one of the black sands that was a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I got the caribsea black sand.

As far as nems no specific ones in mind yet just variety! Oh but definitely a tube nem. That’s why my sand bed is so deep.

• 2 weeks later...
How’s the set up so far? I’m rebuilding a 14 gal biocube that I’m thinking of going Nems only but Iv heard LED arnt great for them.

So far so good! Took a minute to get the skimmer going but everything is up and running and cycling. Have inverts in now which are doing swell.

I’ve never heard that LEDs are bad for nems. In the 8 tanks I’ve had or managed they’ve all had LED’s and kept nems with no problem. They just have to be good LED’s obviously.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Fish Update! So I got two clowns over Christmas.

Also recently got a pink spotted watchman goby, such a cool fish and such a big eater, does great being tong fed (don't have a picture of her yet)

Overtime I have added a condy nem, a feather duster, and finally (and most excitedly) a neon pink tube nem!

I also have previously worked with Stratos from https://printed3d.parts/ for equipment for my other tank and so I had him print me a custom insert for the filter housing. This way I can now have a section for filter floss, one for carbon, and then I designed it so that it would redirect the waterflow forcing it to move through the filtration instead of just running across. This leaves the second housing section open so I can now add in cheato and a fuge light. Highly recommend hitting Stratos up if you have anything you need custom designed/printed for your tank. Super reasonable and fast!

1422079183_unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.cc3ed0b0a701bf020f98c17734591ff7.jpgunnamed.thumb.jpg.12fdc8a54263fc40970773ac43c996d1.jpg1734217792_unnamed(3).thumb.jpg.9883874b0d4a4a3091f6e0740b66a9e5.jpg1301200348_unnamed(2).thumb.jpg.f3e84fc7c4664408efd29b04d56a8f1e.jpg
Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture3.JPG.003b8fb026b4e7419f63f000005b5099.JPG

Edited by MariSoula

• 1 month later...

How's the tank? Are the clowns hosting. I've got two clowns and have tried for two years to get them to host a variety of nems.  They are not interested and just host the rock they just nuzzle into little crevices and completely ignore news or anything else that would normally appeal to them.