I want a powerhead that works

paul b

I want a new (or old) powerhead and I can't find one.  I have 3 of these and they are at least 40 years old.  They never needed any maintenance except occasionally sticking my finger in the intake screen to clean out amphipod shells, Godzilla larvae and bristleworms.  They work forever and are powerful.

I really hate those Korilas and all the powerheads with that stupid open plastic grill because that thing grows so much life that in a few years you need a demolition hammer to clean the thing and you have to remove it to clean all the time.   It's just a stupid design but probably good for goldfish.  image.gif.83818686fbae19212169aa3fb399ff24.gif 

I think these were made by Tunze.  

If I could find something Not made in China, that would be a big plus.  image.gif.116f27e8e3750ec6cce5329aa422320b.gif

Anyone know if these are still made? 

2015-08-01%2015.56.39_zpsox29gogp.jpg

I thought about the Supermodel with the paddle and I have a call into Christie Brinley as she lives near here, but I have not heard back from her.  I was also going to use my 2 1/2 HP outboard motor but my wife frowns on the noise and the fumes.

outboard_zpsaf621cde.jpg

Thanks, I saw those but I think they are only rated at 350 GPH.  I  think mine were 700 GPH.  But I will look more into it.  Seems cheap to have that much flow. 

What davjbeas posted is your exact model.

They used be called Hagen Aqauclear 802.

They usually will start to put current in the water after awhile.

I actually still have a 402 that I use...It's about 25 years old.  I use it to pump water from my mixing can to the tank.  While they don't have a high flow rating the narrow nozzle has a good kick at the muzzle.  I'm pretty sure these came out in response to folks getting sick of driving their under gravel filters with air stones!

Funny. The link is to That Fish Place/That Pet Place in Lancaster. I went to college near there and actually stopped in on my wedding day...wife in the passenger seat, to check for a piece of plumbing (3/4" locline flare...obviously). My rebuttal to all the fish bros who say their ladies will never get it.

I found three working ones.  If I look long enough in my house I can find anything.  But I fixed the crack in one and ordered another one so I should be good. :cool:

I don't remember ever having one of these fail.

IMG_2767_zpsbfd7z0ki.jpg

On 8/19/2019 at 9:29 PM, elwallacejr said:

I actually still have a 402 that I use...It's about 25 years old.  I use it to pump water from my mixing can to the tank.  While they don't have a high flow rating the narrow nozzle has a good kick at the muzzle.  I'm pretty sure these came out in response to folks getting sick of driving their under gravel filters with air stones!

Lol!  I also use a 25 year old 402 for pumping new saltwater from a 5 Gal bucket up to the tank. And I use a 25 year old 301 to mix the saltwater in the bucket. Both are still going strong. Back in the day I ran the 402 on a reverse under gravel filter since the 402 and above could be run in reverse mode. 

I got a new one today that is rated for 550 gallons an hour.  I think it is closer to 250.  I will use it for a door stop to my Man Cave. :rolleyes: