Frozen fish food

MODreefer

Is the food refrigerated after used or left out?

If refrigerated, a couple of days.

I use Rod's. Contacted him one time and was told that once it completely thawed out, it is no longer good.

I always forget mine on the counter and refreeze. Also, on more than one occasion I left out pieces of reef frenzy and mysis and fed to fish. No ill effects to fish thus far. Fish have been in the tank 2+ years so far.

I wouldn’t keep it in an auto feeder though. If they’ll eat the same food dried you’ll be better off.

• 4 weeks later...

I exclusively feed LRS. 

For the past 5 years or so, I've taken a chunk of frozen and put it into a 2-4oz ramekin with some tank water. I use a small baster to feed, and keep whatever is left over in the fridge. Like Bottom Dweller, I've not seen any ill effects from doing it this way. Sometimes I've kept larger defrosted chunks for almost 2 weeks in the fridge.  

when I go on vacation I put little vials with salt water and a chunk of LRS into the fridge.  Each has the day of the week on it.  The cat sitter gives each a shake and then dumps into the tank.   

It's not an auto-feeder, though.

You might think about automating the feeding of freeze dried food while gone for days rather than frozen.  With a feeding ring it won't go down the overflow and the fish will eat it pretty much as well as frozen.  I think Avast was selling a good freeze dried blend of stuff.

If you wanted to slowly feed frozen over multiple days you could check this out too.  It's low tech, but looks neat.  You make food popsicles and let them slowly thaw.

https://smarterreefs.com/

On 9/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, AlanM said:

when I go on vacation I put little vials with salt water and a chunk of LRS into the fridge.  Each has the day of the week on it.  The cat sitter gives each a shake and then dumps into the tank.   

It's not an auto-feeder, though.

You might think about automating the feeding of freeze dried food while gone for days rather than frozen.  With a feeding ring it won't go down the overflow and the fish will eat it pretty much as well as frozen.  I think Avast was selling a good freeze dried blend of stuff.

If you wanted to slowly feed frozen over multiple days you could check this out too.  It's low tech, but looks neat.  You make food popsicles and let them slowly thaw.

https://smarterreefs.com/

I've done that!  I've gotten oversized whiskey cube trays and frozen them half-full, then add some food into the middle, freeze that a little longer, then add more water to top it off and freeze the whole thing.  Drop one in and it feeds the fish a few hours after you leave.  Not exactly a long term solution, but certainly helps to stave off hunger for a little while....