Tank thickness calculations?

hlem

Planning my “final” tank. Was wondering if there is a method, or something to determine how to size glass panels thickness. Especially for rimless.

Like How thick should a panel be if it’s X long by Y tall... 

anyone have an ideA? 

For rimless you need thicker glass and internal bracing on the bottom. 

My tank is 72x30x22 and I was told that I needed to go 3/4” glass for the 6’ span. 

If you wanted eurobracing, you could get by with 1/2” glass but the 3/4” looks awesome. 

For rimless you need thicker glass and internal bracing on the bottom. 

My tank is 72x30x22 and I was told that I needed to go 3/4” glass for the 6’ span. 

If you wanted eurobracing, you could get by with 1/2” glass but the 3/4” looks awesome. 

I agree with epleeds here. For a long rimless use 3/4”. I got a quote fro ReefSavvy a couple of years ago and for a 4’ rimless they were fine with 1/2”. Once I asked for 5’ they said they’d do it in 3/4”.

That calculator has a field for safety factor and that also drives the thickness. It’s pretty straight forward, the lower the safety factor, the more you risk a flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

here are some "tanks" i'm considering.  So the glass would be sitting 3-4"? against cement frames (probably 12"x12" square cement corners. i thinking 12' long x 3-4' tall panel. I dont think bottom bracing is needed but what about top?  how thick should i make the glass?

68884202_10105258102991407_6012361569042

68336180_10105258103001387_1868472908775

68541433_10105258103086217_4947737621309

Edited by hlem

That is a whole different realm. If they glass is only one pane and the rest is concrete I would go as thick as you can afford. Not sure what the calculation is there. But if it’s not too deep you might not need to go more than 3/4”

16 minutes ago, epleeds said:

That is a whole different realm. If they glass is only one pane and the rest is concrete I would go as thick as you can afford. Not sure what the calculation is there. But if it’s not too deep you might not need to go more than 3/4”

I would want a viewing panel of 40-48” tall. And as long as possible, maybe 12’ long, I guess 1” thick would be Safe?

At that point, I’m thinking 1.5” thick acrylic if it’s going to mirror the pictures you posted. Way cheaper than 1”+ glass

Holy smokes that’s way out of my league! I’m with epleeds here, I’d probably go with acrylic. At 12x4 that would be a really thick piece of glass to keep it from bowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate acrylic. poS to clean. I’m not patience enough :(

Maybe add another smaller 4-6” concrete column in the middle will keep it bowing or maybe 1-2” steel bar reinforcing the top? 

Ha, keep in mind that thick glass starts to look tinted. And low iron glass with low tint is softer and more prone to scratches. Thick acrylic may actually be a better choice. And that's coming from somebody who ditched his acrylic tank years ago for the same reasons you mentioned. It's worth looking into what the pros think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Origami said:

Ha, keep in mind that thick glass starts to look tinted. And low iron glass with low tint is softer and more prone to scratches. Thick acrylic may actually be a better choice. And that's coming from somebody who ditched his acrylic tank years ago for the same reasons you mentioned. It's worth looking into what the pros think.

Thanks Tom. I have an acrylic tank now. And I am definitely not liking the extra effort in cleaning to prevent scratches. I also have a low iron tank, while it’s softer than regular, I can still use a razor blade on it. That alone already have pushed me towards glass. 

I think I just need to consult an engineer to be sure on framing and thickness. 

Justin (ctenophore) ot John (Copps) might also have advice on thickness. They both have really deep tanks.