Advice on Pipes Through a Wall

TrueTricia

Good morning WAMAS

I've got a 120g tank I'm building, and the sump will be in an adjoining room. I know exactly what behind the wall, and it's only a piece of drywall, nothing else. I'm thinking of doing a hole for each pipe, and it'll be hidden behind the stand. I'm looking for any advice that you have on cutting through drywall for your pipes, tools you used, things you wish you knew before you did, etc.

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If it is drywall on both sides make sure you are not going to hit a stud. The cleanest way to cut a circle in drywall is to use a hole saw bit like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Daredevil-2-in-Wood-Hole-Saw-with-Arbor-HCD200/206703601  make sure it is slightly wider than the pipe. You may need an extender if there is drywall on both sides, you can also measure each side to line up the holes as well.

If you want to give it a finished look you can use a flange or grommet like these  Grommet: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-5yc1vZc956/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-grommet?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5 these are for cable managment but work well in this application.You can also use a plastic flange: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westbrass-3-5-in-Plastic-Disposal-Flange-in-Powdercoated-White-D2091-50/310265754   You may want to use a union so you never have to remove the pipe in the wall if you need to move the pipe or sump. I used a plastic silver flange in my fishroom.

large.2092433818_CDawpruRSCH1qsK8A6vfw.jpg.c62afc707b8570c74e98abadf628e6df.jpg

IMG_6935.HEIC

Edited by dpassar12

Measure twice; cut once!

^^^ This is the best advice.

Additionally, some things to remember is that drywall is not structural and a raw edge of drywall will degrade very quickly when an object rubs against it or water is introduced to it. When I ran my plumbing through the wall, I reinforced the opening by using a piece of plywood and/or sheet pvc affixed to the wall where the pipe entered or exited.  (The pic is where I reinforced the conduit exiting the wall with a piece of pvc sheet material. It has definitely helped insure that my drywall is protected. Also, in an effort to make sure the piece held in place and the screws did not pull out, I inserted drywall anchors into the drywall prior to adding screws.)

As for making holes, dpassar12 suggested as I had done and used a hole saw to drill the holes in the drywall. Just remember that drilling through the drywall is not a race and the slower you go the better the chance that you will get a clean hole without any blowout when you punch through the other side.

39ffe9275c197f228b060a46a3ada85c.jpg

I just cut a big hole in my drywall. I have pipes, wires and more between two rooms. The tank and stand cover the hole so I’m not worried about it. And when/if I ever take the tank down I’m gonna have to fix my floors as well as the wall and will deal with that then. 

Your more then welcome to come to come by and see it. But it’s basically a 24”x36” hole in a wall :)

Thanks all for the recommendations! There's a lot of great advice in your answers!

Eric, thanks for the offer! I probably won't be up in DC until after I have leg surgery, and I'll be laid up for 4-6 weeks unable to drive (right leg).  I'm dragging my boyfriend to MACNA...he lives up in Lake Ridge, so maybe I can drag him out to yours as well. Your tank is always worth a visit!  Hope all is well!

You can use circular drill bits to go through the dry wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Wideskall-Pieces-Hole-Saw-Assortment/dp/B07227QK9L/ref=asc_df_B07227QK9L/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735728871&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5607124452679853163&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007767&hvtargid=pla-589191624627&psc=1

just make sure you do not have studs.

Also, you may want to drill a hole about 1" larger that the pipe you will put through the wall, just to make sure you have good clearance  they you finish it as dpassar12

suggested.