Fragfest ID please: bendy purple coral, gorgonian?

maevepotter

Hi,

As stated I got a bendy purple thing that looks like maybe a gorgonian? Does anyone know what it is and where I should place it/how it should be attached? High flow/low flow? 92e53b175eba08c260d297b15dc13515.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Looks like the famous "Scott711 Gorgonian."  I brought a bunch in for the fragfest.  Grows best with a lot of light, and medium to high flow.  Use a razor blade or other sharp object to scrape some of the flesh from the underlying skeleton, and then glue the skeleton to the rock.  I find the best way to secure it is to make a little cone of epoxy putty, and then put a hole in the top of the cone (like a little volcano).  After a day or so you can use super glue or epoxy to cement the gorgonian into the hole.

Alternatively, you can just place the frag somewhere it will stay put, and it will encrust on its own soon enough.

11 minutes ago, mogurnda said:

Looks like the famous "Scott711 Gorgonian."  I brought a bunch in for the fragfest.  Grows best with a lot of light, and medium to high flow.  Use a razor blade or other sharp object to scrape some of the flesh from the underlying skeleton, and then glue the skeleton to the rock.  I find the best way to secure it is to make a little cone of epoxy putty, and then put a hole in the top of the cone (like a little volcano).  After a day or so you can use super glue or epoxy to cement the gorgonian into the hole.

Alternatively, you can just place the frag somewhere it will stay put, and it will encrust on its own soon enough.

Bought a branch off of you a while back. They are doing great and grows super fast. Thank you!

45 minutes ago, mogurnda said:

Dave

Any chance you'll have some more of that by the Fall Meeting?

3 hours ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Bought a branch off of you a while back. They are doing great and grows super fast. Thank you!

3 hours ago, maevepotter said:

Thanks Dave! Great to see you at the fragfest. Thanks for bringing this awesome gorgonian. Love it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TrueTricia said:

Dave

Any chance you'll have some more of that by the Fall Meeting?

Thanks all!  I don't know whether there is something special about the species, or it has just been in captivity for so long, but it seems like the most bombproof of the gorgonians.  

Tricia,

My weekends are usually eaten up by work in October, but I can send some along with another local if you remind me.  There is always some that needs to be cut back.