DIY ideas for new 75?

treesprite

(edited)

I get to go totally from scratch for this tank since it is brand new. Gotta go as low budget as I can, so I am probably going to have to build the overflow myself. I have some ideas, but would like some suggestions.

I can cannibalize some little tanks I have for glass. I'm no good at cutting the stuff, and I want a long, narrow internal (with an external box), so I am probably going to have to go to a glass shop.

I want to have an outside box, am wondering about the thickness of glass needed for that, and dimensions needed. I have something already that might work if it isn't tempered.

Is it possible to get a tooth strip that attaches to the top of a piece of glass?  I did kind of a sloppy job using diamond-coated dremmel bits to grind teeth into my old glass C2C.

Edited by treesprite
typo

Okay you can skip most of that. Looks like I can get an internal box part on eBay not too expensive, but will try for an unlikely chance of getting used stuff. I want something really long for surface skimming, but will have to settle for shorter.

There is then the matter of the external box. Not a big deal as far as appearance goes like the internal part is. I want it to cut down on noise. I'm good enough with silicone to make sure the box won't fall off. I once had one that I set into a cut-out from the back wall of old 65g so the box was both inside and outside, which I thought was pretty cool, but I can't make a cut-out from this tank (I took the back off off the 65 and took it to a glass shop, after I cracked the glass above one of my holes).

(edited)

IMG_20190727_071700.thumb.jpg.2a7e8c869dd2317653194a45caba523e.jpgI have this little tank that maybe could be an external box if it can be drilled, if the dimensions and weight are okay. It is 18"x6"x6", it weighs 5 lbs (on bathroom scale), and the glass is the thickness of a 20g tank. I would probably be taking off one wall which would bring the weight down to 4 lbs (would use that wall as a lid).

Edited by treesprite