1/2 price 75g from Petco

treesprite

I discovered the other day that Petco in Rockville has 75 g tanks for half price (didn't see an ad or sign, but some woman was buying two of them, so I asked if they were on sale).

I didn't want to be guilty of an impulse buy, so I gave myself a day to decide I better not get one. Then another day to torment myself with plans for a tank I wasn't going to buy. Then about 20 minutes ago I went and bought one. Getting tired of the tiny 50g I got when I decided not to finish the used 120g project (that is stashed in a junk room).

2 hours ago, maevepotter said:

Why did you have to tell me this?? Now I'm probably going to do the same thing!! emoji1787.png

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

LoL. Do it!!!

(edited)

I think it was $90-something. The last one I had, I bought used for $50 - the chance of getting a decent used 75 for that amount is miniscule.

I have to build a new stand. Stands aren't hard to build if the wood pieces are cut properly - if you just want a frame stand without a cabinet, it doesn't take much time. I just worry about them being uneven or oblique. This week I used random wood pieces that were already at my place to throw together a quickie stand for my 12g Aquapod (I still need to make a door for it).

Edited by treesprite

I have a used 75 in my basement that I will give away for free. The bottom is tempered and I am not sure about the sides. It is not drilled. I got it for free from wamas user tooth decay who ran it as freshwater cichlid tank.  Pick up in purcellville or centerville..

(edited)

Well, there go my plans, because the TANK IS TEMPERED! It I going back to the store!

I have never heard of a 75 being tempered besides the bottom. Now I have to get it back in the car. Good thing I checked before I drilled it or ordered anything.

I've got all this stuff in my head now though, so I need to do something. Maybe someone has a non-tempered one to sell. I have the 120 in my junk room, but I don't know if it is worth working on at this point (partly because it is too big; partly because the dried crud coating on the glass was hiding scratches that according to the seller did not exist).

Edited by treesprite

13 hours ago, maevepotter said:

I decided against it because of the middle brace.

Whatever your reason, you have saved yourself some trouble!

(edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 7:49 AM, maevepotter said:

Yeah what a pain. So weird that it's tempered

Apparently Aqueon uses tempered when they run out of regular, which makes little sense to me, because I would have thought tempered glass would be more expensive. Even if I wasn't going to drill a tank, the thought of an entire tank of water going on the floor at once is far more disturbing than that of there being a crack that gives me time to empty the tank, instead of having a flood and all the livestock dead on the floor.

Edited by treesprite

Forrest, I've seen that same tempered-panels story in other places for larger tanks from Petco. Some of them have had luck taking their laptop and a pair of polarized glasses to the store and sifting through inventory to find tanks with non-tempered panels.

18 hours ago, maevepotter said:

@Origami: what would they see if they looked through polarized lenses?

There's stuff online. However, many laptop displays are polarized. So, if you look at them through polarized sunglasses and turn the glasses, you'll see the screen fade to black at some angle and be visible at a perpendicular angle. Tempered glass will twist light differently at different points. So, when you put such a screen behind a panel of tempered glass, you'll see swirls and streaks. And, if you were to rotatte the glasses, the pattern would change. Regular glass behaves the same as no-glass. That is, the screen will go black at some angle and will be brightest 90 degrees from that.

I used my laptop and sun glasses, which I should have thought to bring along to the store when I bought the tank, not after I got it out of my car. On this tank, the glass appears to have a sort of wavy streaks or stripes pattern.

I bet if I hadn't been picky about dust and dead grasshoppers, I would have gotten an untempered tank.

9 hours ago, treesprite said:

I used my laptop and sun glasses, which I should have thought to bring along to the store when I bought the tank, not after I got it out of my car. On this tank, the glass appears to have a sort of wavy streaks or stripes pattern.

I bet if I hadn't been picky about dust and dead grasshoppers, I would have gotten an untempered tank.

Wavy streaks or stripes pattern = tempered glass. Any chance you can get a picture for future inquiries? 

Are all panels on your tank tempered? It sounds kind of like they mixed and matched panels given whatever supply of glass they had on hand. That may be an exaggeration, but worth a check I guess.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Origami said:

Wavy streaks or stripes pattern = tempered glass. Any chance you can get a picture for future inquiries? 

Are all panels on your tank tempered? It sounds kind of like they mixed and matched panels given whatever supply of glass they had on hand. That may be an exaggeration, but worth a check I guess.

The front and back were. I didn't check the ends, but I wouldn't have wanted to drill the end anyway.

I would have to take picture through my sunglasses. I can give it a try.

Edited by treesprite

(edited)
4 hours ago, finaddict said:

Forrest is the tank I gave you the one showing streaks?  I hope it isn’t tempered on the front and back panels!

Thank you for a Non-tempered tank! According to the testing with same laptop and sunglasses, it is not tempered. I was 99.9999% sure that it wouldn't be, because of the fact that it has the tempered sticker on the bottom pane and is an older tank. I think the nonsense of using tempered glass as a substitute without marking those tanks clearly for consumers, didn't start until the Aqueon manufacturer came along (I can't recall exactly, does anyone know if Aqueon is the bought-out AGA?).

Well, I checked the 29g Aqueon I bought in winter for the mice... it is not tempered. I've had 2  other 29s in the past many years ago and one was tempered but not the other. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of either of those tanks, but they were from two different sources.  I ended up using the unshattered tempered panes for longitudinal sump baffles since I couldn't cut them, which is how I discovered that I like longitudinal baffles much more than traditional.

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

Not good pictures. I had to take one through the lens of my sunglasses.

This is without the polarized lenses. The laptop is inside of the tempered tank, so I was looking at the screen through the glass.

IMG_20190806_011947~2.jpg

This is through the polarized lens. I wish I had an untinted polarized lens so the pattern wouldn't look so dark, but the pattern is definitely there.

IMG_20190806_012027~2.jpg

For anyone trying this test, keep in mind that not all tempered glass shows the same pattern, so you might see something different from the stripes.

Edited by treesprite

Thanks, Forrest. Now, optimally, you need to turn either the laptop or the glasses both with the glass between and not. When it's just air between the screen and the sunglasses, the screen should go dark as you turn the glasses. With tempered glass in between, the screen never goes dark because the light coming off of the screen is turned by various angles as it passes through the tempered glass.