New ApexEL Frustration

TrueTricia

So I caved and bought a new ApexEL.  I get it in, and I cannot get it set up at all!  Once I log onto the apex.local, it looks nothing like the Getting Started guide.  Rather than the Fusion-like dashboard, I see an older version of a webpage.  I must have gotten an older version or something.  Regardless, there's no obvious way to update the software, and the few things I can try to do only cause the entire system to crash.  It's very frustrating to spend $500 on a system like this that's supposed to be easy, only to spend hours in the evening trying to fix it.  And of course, I'm not home during the days to try to fix it....

Have you contacted Neptune? They are EXTREMELY responsive and helpful

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I don't have an ApexEL. However, it sounds like you're connected to the native HTML page that's built into the Apex rather than Fusion. My guess is that you need to first connect to Fusion.

Did you check the Neptune Video here at YouTube?

(edited)

So I've followed their guide online which has you do the following in this order:

1. Connect brain to E832.

2. Connect to power source.

3. Orange light turns to blue for internet set-up mode.

4. Connect to internet via ethernet or WIFI (I've tried both methods after factory resets).

5. Blue light turns to orange once connected to internet.

6. Go to apexlocal and login using "admin" and "1234".  "YOU WILL CONNECT TO YOUR FUSION ACCOUNT LATER IN THE PROCESS."  

7. View your dashboard.  This is where my dashboard looks nothing like what they're showing in the process.  I agree that mine looks like the HTML site rather than the fusion page.  And at this point, following their instructions, I haven't logged into my apex account yet.  

8. Update the software. Do NOT proceed before updating software.  So here again is where I'm stuck.  Apex is telling me not to do anything else, like login to the Fusion account, before updating software.  And the instructions for updating are for the Fusion dashboard rather than the HTML version that I'm seeing.  Now I think I've figured out what I need to do (checking a box under Misc. Settings that says "restart after update" which should then trigger the system to check for an update under the Network Settings page...and I found this by watching one of Neptune's videos), but every time I try to check that box for the restart and "save" the changes, the whole system crashes.  So the 'fix' for my issue is causing the system to crash, and then I can't get back onto the ApexLocal page and have to reset the entire thing and start over.  I've tried from both my Android and PC to see if the operating system I'm using is causing the issue, but so far neither is having a different outcome.

Yes, I've contacted Neptune and am awaiting a response.  I'm sure they'll be very responsive and helpful, but it's still frustrating.  A little backstory.... I still have my Apex Classic, but the display module seems to be broken (just a blue screen) and I can't seem to figure out which tile goes to my EB8 bar and therefore can't turn the outlets on.  I looked at videos on factory resets, but that uses the display module prompts to do it, and mine's broken.  I've got a QT tank going right now with a couple fish, and I also have a few 4-5 day trips coming up, starting this weekend.  I was hoping to set up my DOS pump and DOS reservoir as a mini-water change for the QT tank to keep the levels stable on the QT tank.  But this of course requires the Apex to work.  Since I couldn't get the classic to work and a new display module was $100, I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered an EL at full price (didn't want to risk a R2R scam on this one or a non-functioning tool that I needed to work by Thursday).  So I passed up a deal for an EL at $400 on R2R to pay full price for the EL on BRS to ensure that I could get it set up easily for my trip this Thursday evening.  See the irony?  I'm also slammed at work and have family in town, which means my tinkering time is limited.  Hence the frustration.

Thank  you all for trying to help!  I'll take any suggestions!!

Edited by TrueTricia

(edited)
5 hours ago, Origami said:

I don't have an ApexEL. However, it sounds like you're connected to the native HTML page that's built into the Apex rather than Fusion. My guess is that you need to first connect to Fusion.

Did you check the Neptune Video here at YouTube?

Hey Tom

Yep!  I've watched this, and I unfortunately it's not helpful.  A couple minutes into the video, it tells you to login to the system using "admin" and "1234."  Unfortunately, past this part my system and the video/guides look nothing alike.  Neptune has replied, and hopefully I'll have an answer tonight.  THANK YOU

Edited by TrueTricia

FYSA for anyone else that runs into this problem.  Here's how I fixed it.

1. On the HTML webpage, there was a button in the top left corner that says "link to Fusion."  Click that.

2. It will then give you a code to link your Fusion to your Apex.

3. Download the Fusion app to your phone and then go to your Apex list.

4. There will be an option to link an Apex (looks like the Attachment paperclip).  Click on that and enter the code.

5. Your Apex should then link to the Fusion account.  

6. Complete the setup of your Apex from the Fusion app, rather than the Apex.local site that Neptune recommends.