Salinity Checker Help

TrueTricia

My refractometer is making me feel old.  I can barely read it...I always feel like it's fuzzy, I'm squinting, and I'm guessing at the exact salinity.  While my big tank build will include an Apex PM2 Salinity module, I'll still need to read a refractometer for QT and my small bedroom tank.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?  Better tools or digital salinity readers that you'd recommend before I buy one?

Does your refractometer have a focus ring? Most have a knurled eye-piece that allows you to focus the unit. Also, the conductivity probe on the controller is just about worthless so dont rely on it. 

Yup, the MA887 from Milwaukee. It's a little bulky, but I guess it's only a little bigger than the BRS refractometer case. Easily calibrated with RO water, and easy digital readings. 

44 minutes ago, madweazl said:

Does your refractometer have a focus ring? Most have a knurled eye-piece that allows you to focus the unit. Also, the conductivity probe on the controller is just about worthless so dont rely on it. 

Ha! I totally forgot about that part! That's what happens when you're out of the game for awhile....you forget how your equipment works!

THANKS!!!!

34 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Yup, the MA887 from Milwaukee. It's a little bulky, but I guess it's only a little bigger than the BRS refractometer case. Easily calibrated with RO water, and easy digital readings. 

Ohhh! I was looking at that one as well as the one by Icecap, which is currently on sale.  I like the digital readings! Thanks!

10 minutes ago, TrueTricia said:

Ha! I totally forgot about that part! That's what happens when you're out of the game for awhile....you forget how your equipment works!

THANKS!!!!

I've found that natural light is the best for getting readings as well, but yeah, gotta focus the dang thing!

I assume that focusing helped?

I, too, use the MA887 despite having 3 refractometers. It's more convenient than the refractometers. But, while I don't hesistate to put the refractometer on a ledge near the tank, I hesitate doing the same with the Milwaukee for fear of knocking it off. If I broke the former, I'd just toss it in the trash. If I dropped the latter, I'd probaby say a few choice words and kick myself before throwing it in the trash.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:37 PM, Origami said:

I assume that focusing helped?

I, too, use the MA887 despite having 3 refractometers. It's more convenient than the refractometers. But, while I don't hesistate to put the refractometer on a ledge near the tank, I hesitate doing the same with the Milwaukee for fear of knocking it off. If I broke the former, I'd just toss it in the trash. If I dropped the latter, I'd probaby say a few choice words and kick myself before throwing it in the trash.

It's amazing what the focus ring does!  It's like my eyes regressed in age several years!  

Blonde... It's a lifestyle not just a hair color.  

It's amazing what the focus ring does!  It's like my eyes regressed in age several years!  

Blonde... It's a lifestyle not just a hair color.  
Ha! Love it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk