Reef Crystals

So I know a ton of people bought Reef Crystals when they went on sale, I am one of them.

I bought it thinking "it's an upgraded Instant Ocean" right?

Well I started researching after my purchase and found that reef crystals runs really high in the alk Dept. I've read that people lower it with acid. I'd rather not do that step. I have been pretty happy with my regular instant ocean (though my magnesium seems a bit high). So I'm considering getting another box of IO or possibly going to RSCP (a highly recommended salt mix from my research). After all that research though, I couldn't discern what I was wondering.

I guess my question is can you use reef crystals as is and achieve better results than regular IO?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

-A-a-ron

I swapped to IO from RC to achieve a lower alkalinity. I think with dosing ESV and water changes, I’m getting the same, if not better results.

I’m of the mindset that a water change shouldn’t rock your alk level anyways. It’s not the first time I’ve made the swap, and I’ve not noticed either way, so I figure go with the cheaper option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if the TOTM winner uses it. Why not!

You don't do anything to the reef crystals? Just use as is and dose with ESV?

Although I’ve looked into it, I’ve never adjusted my water for water changes, 7 gallons on about 32 total system volume. It’s always leveled out after a day or two, but YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to say one thing on this topic. I have owned two pet stores in Upstate N.Y, and Reef Crystals is the only salt that we used in the store and for all of our service accounts. This a very good salt for the price. 

I've been using Instant Ocean for about three years in the 75g but I do lower the alkalinity in it as well (Reef Crystal should be within .5 dKh of Instant Ocean). There is nothing wrong with either (or any other salt on the market). You can blame a lot of things for a tank in bad shape, your salt mix will never be one of them though. 

I do agree with what you said. I have had so many customers that would came into the store and say I don’t know what wrong with my tank. One of the first things I would ask is when did you do your last water change. I wish that I had a dollar for every time I heard 4 or 6 weeks ago. They would reply that’s ok . 

I truly do believe one of the key factors in keeping a healthy reef tank is water change.