t5 DIY

CaLevi

This week the blue channel on my LED crapped out, leading to me to look at my options, and realizing how overpriced this industry can be. Slap on 'Marine' in front of everything and there goes a 200% markup. Which gets me to my point.

If I want to do t5's, can I not simply buy a regular t5 HO fixture from HomeDepot or a gardening supply store (grow light) and use it? I look at the ATI's and other vendors and for $600+, can't seem to find the value in some sheet metal and a couple of fans. Maybe I'm missing something.

For sizing, I have a 120xl tank, 18wide, 5ft long.....would 48" length be adequate or would the full 60" be ideal? I couldn't find sizing recommendations.

You can buy a t5 grow light and use it, I think the only issue is that they're not really designed to be over a saltwater tank so they'll take a beating quicker than one designed for a reef tank, or "marine" if you will. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other. Depending on how high you hang them, and if you keep corals on the edges would make a difference on length. I think a cleaner look is covering the whole thing. Welcome to the club!