Anemone died...

Goalyman2323

My Haitian condy died while I was at work. I removed the majority of the body but some desintigrated into the tank. I have a pretty low tech jbj 45 set up, and dont have the ability to qt in my tank. I did a 7g water change already and I'm planning on doing a 100% water change in the morning. I am looking for further recommendations on what I can do to alleviate further damage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

(edited)

I would run something like a bag of carbon or chemi-pure to handle any of the toxins that may have been released by the anemone 

Edited by Javed Aman

Is everything else in the tank visibly suffering?  I'd do what Javed suggests for one, run some carbon with some floss in front of it to pull out stuff that is dissolved or floating around and just keep an eye on the rest of the tank.  Don't do heroic water changes unless everything is really dying.  I'm not a fan of prophylactic huge water changes.

Is everything else in the tank visibly suffering?  I'd do what Javed suggests for one, run some carbon with some floss in front of it to pull out stuff that is dissolved or floating around and just keep an eye on the rest of the tank.  Don't do heroic water changes unless everything is really dying.  I'm not a fan of prophylactic huge water changes.
Nothing seems to be suffering now. I kind of panicked when it happened. I changed the media last night in my filter box and reactor to carbon. I'm still going to do a sizable water change though just to be sure. Probably a 50%.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Have had anemones die via getting stuck in powerheads and disintegrating in tanks as small as 5g. In my experience, the amount of damage a dead anemone causes is overblown, so long as you remove the pieces and use carbon/floss. I wouldn't do a change larger than 50%, especially if your fish and corals seem to be doing okay. If anything, do the large volume change and then do a series of smaller changes over the subsequent days. When my decent size rbta got shredded in the 5g, the hammers and zoa's were angry for a few days but were just fine, and the fish didn't really seem to notice at all. Years ago I had a very large rbta bite the dust in a 40g, and I lost nothing, despite not even running carbon. A guy in the forum has a tank with like, 30 anemones that all died within days and the fish and most of the corals were unharmed. Keep an eye on things, but unless you notice some serious struggling, it'll probably be okay.

(edited)
1 hour ago, rt502 said:

Have had anemones die via getting stuck in powerheads and disintegrating in tanks as small as 5g. In my experience, the amount of damage a dead anemone causes is overblown, so long as you remove the pieces and use carbon/floss. I wouldn't do a change larger than 50%, especially if your fish and corals seem to be doing okay. If anything, do the large volume change and then do a series of smaller changes over the subsequent days. When my decent size rbta got shredded in the 5g, the hammers and zoa's were angry for a few days but were just fine, and the fish didn't really seem to notice at all. Years ago I had a very large rbta bite the dust in a 40g, and I lost nothing, despite not even running carbon. A guy in the forum has a tank with like, 30 anemones that all died within days and the fish and most of the corals were unharmed. Keep an eye on things, but unless you notice some serious struggling, it'll probably be okay.

Same happened to me before, my bubble anem walked into a MP10 and was chopped to pieces, some so small I spent hours trying to get them out.

I would refrain from HUGE water changes, and definitely start Carbon (THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL) and Chemi-Pure if you have it. Based on your filtration setup, I recommend washing out/changing the filter socks, sponge pads, etc. tonight and tomorrow. 

If nothing is "suffering", you might have dodged the bullet...

Keep calm, breath, show some extra TLC to the tank. 

Edited by Reefoholic