Replacement pump parts for RLSS r6i (discontinued)

Javed Aman

Hi All,

Looking for some WAMAS wisdom regarding an old skimmer that I have from a while back, the RLSS r6i. When I bought it, it came with the Waveline DC 3000 and seemed fine for the most part. I was given an upgrade to the Waveline DC 4000 by Salty Supply (now defunct) but never installed it. I’m building a new reef tank and I’d prefer not to have to buy another $400 skimmer or needlessly waste this one, so I’m trying to get this one be in operational condition.

Basically my issue is that the DC 4000 pump that I have may have rust issues as mentioned here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2360803). This is because my pump was manufactured before this defect was known. The screws are definitely titanium, but the housing may have stainless steel screw bushings. Is there a way to test to see if the bushings really are stainless steel? I tried a magnet but neither the screws or the bushing stick; however, stainless steel isn’t necessarily magnetic. If they are stainless steel is there a way I can remove the bushings and replace them with titanium ones? I have a spare volute, but it’s for a return pump configuration and not skimmer. I’m not quite sure how I can modify it to work with the skimmer.

I’ve contacted the two main distributors of RLSS skimmers from back in the day: Premium Aquatics and Aquarium Specialty, but neither has gotten back to me. I’ve also reached out to RLSS directly, but I doubt I’ll get a response since their website hasn’t been updated since 2015

The other option would be to potentially find a compatible pump, but there really isn’t any information available on these skimmers to begin with so I wouldn’t know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’d be glad to post pictures of the skimmer if it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

A little rust is normally not a problem. What about just using the pump and checking the condition of the bushing during quarterly inspection/cleaning of the skimmer pump?