What is this?

bues0022

This has started developing over the past few months. Not exactly sure if it’s normal, good, or a nasty. Coral is a favia, and I’m talking about the white fleshy thing inbetween the polyps. It is more pronounced when I feed, goes back to almost nothing during the day. During feeding, it almost looks like the “guts” of a mushroom coral. 

Is this his part of the favia? Is it a hitchhiker that has finally grown up a bit? 

I use Tapatalk from my phone, easiest solution. 

From desktop, I host on flickr. 

Photobucket used to be everyone's huckleberry until they jumped the shark and ransomed everybody's memories. 

From what I can see on your picture, is it part of the skeleton? 

Nope. Definitely not a sponge. It really looks like mesenterial filaments, but they aren’t coming from a mouth of this coral. Can these filaments come from in-between? Some kind of sex organ? 

(edited)

Hmm. Maybe they are mesenterial filaments:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/296533-white-curly-stuff-on-acan/

one guy seems to think its a it’s a sign of warfare, but idk. Mine has had them for a while in several different placements (some very far from other corals), and they expand more during feeding. 

Edited by bues0022

Yeah, looks like that, but it’s SUPER small on mine. Largest I’ve seen is 1/3 the size of a pea. Closest coral are some zoas about 3” away. There really isn’t much near this coral. 

39 minutes ago, bues0022 said:

Hmm. Maybe they are mesenterial filaments:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/296533-white-curly-stuff-on-acan/

one guy seems to think its a it’s a sign of warfare, but idk. Mine has had them for a while in several different placements (some very far from other corals), and they expand more during feeding. 

Favias are extremely aggressive, could be right!

I can’t really see the object well, but as it’s more on the ridge between the two corallites, I’d say it’s probably a barnacle or a sponge.  Does it sort of look like a “fan” that pulses in and out of an opening periodically?  This is usually more frequent during feeding. (Google images of barnacle feeding)