Glue opinions

MariSoula

What glue does everyone use? I’ve always used locktite gel but I think they changed their product. Sick and tired of having to regule everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbor Freight or Dollar Store gel works fine. The tube size is small, so if it clogs, I don't lose much value.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I like the 2 part epoxy much better for frags. Every frag I've ever attached to the rock work (or plug) has encrusted over the epoxy much faster than CA. CA is a poor choice for wet applications but it's simplicity of use has made it popular. 

I like the 2 part epoxy much better for frags. Every frag I've ever attached to the rock work (or plug) has encrusted over the epoxy much faster than CA. CA is a poor choice for wet applications but it's simplicity of use has made it popular. 

Are you talking about the putty? Like JB Weld?

Locktite is good, but such a small size. I’ve found all the gel reef glues are essentially the same. As mentioned above reef apoxy is great, even better when used with gel glue. Sandwich the apoxy between glue and works well. Best deals are the tubes sold at the swaps, cheap. I usually pick up 2-3. If you’re careful you can easily recap and the tubes last a long time.

10 hours ago, MariSoula said:

Are you talking about the putty? Like JB Weld?

I was referring to something like the Instant Ocean Holdfast (number of manufacturers have their own version). 

I am using Tunze Coral Gum.  No smell or residue when mixing the 2 parts.  I do also use BtmDweller super glue/epoxy combo method.  Either Gorilla Glue Gel or IC Gel for the super glue part.

BSI IC-gel has been good for me.  I now use coraladdiction super glue I found on ebay.  It's similar to BSI and the container/tip does not clog up. 

Scott711 did a group buy on some really solid super glue gel about 4 years ago. I know about 1.5 years ago he still was trying to move some extras. I'm still on my last tube, but the label has rubbed off at this stage, but it's been my favorite to work with. Also, in tandem with the super glue/epoxy sandwich, using the ocean wonders coraline purple epoxy. It stinks like crazy, but it seats real fast! 

Sandwich method also let’s you mold a base as opposed to using a crap ton of glue. Are you guys selling glue at the next meeting?

19 minutes ago, BtmDweller said:

How's reef welder? 

I didn't like it at first because I couldn't get the hang of it. Once I actually follow the direction, it works really well. Stick to the rock really tight. What I like is that you can always reuse them so less waste.

BSI IC-gel has been good for me.  I now use coraladdiction super glue I found on ebay.  It's similar to BSI and the container/tip does not clog up. 

I’ve heard really good things about this one and was considering buying it

I didn't like it at first because I couldn't get the hang of it. Once I actually follow the direction, it works really well. Stick to the rock really tight. What I like is that you can always reuse them so less waste.

How well does it work for sticking something not attached to a rock or substrate? Like sticking straight zoas or shrooms that are soft and squishy?

How well does it work for sticking something not attached to a rock or substrate? Like sticking straight zoas or shrooms that are soft and squishy?

Good luck trying to glue down shrooms! That’s like trying to glue down an anemone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the gel for zoas. Never tried shrooms. Those things are a pain in the butt. I would just leave them in a small container and let them attach themselves.

Good luck trying to glue down shrooms! That’s like trying to glue down an anemone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not always successful but usually pretty possible.

Not always successful but usually pretty possible.

You’ll have to share your tricks then.

Like mentioned above, a cup or shot glass of rubble and the mushroom will grab ahold.

The club has Handibond, very thick super glue gel, for sale at most meetings for a couple of dollars per tube.  It's the one lots of us here prefer. 

https://handibond.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=8

We'll give some away at Fragfest this year: 

https://wamas.org/forums/topic/90098-2019-summer-fragfest-meeting-sunday-july-21-2019-bob-stark-esv/

Here's how I did SPS:

I had a tube of the two-part aquarium epoxy stick for years.  I'd cut off a small amount, roll it around in my fingers to get the size of a 1/2" marble and then pinch off small amounts about the size of a grain of rice and roll it into a ball.  Then I'd put a dab of super glue on the bottom of the frag, then smush the tiny epoxy ball on to the super glue to get it mostly flat, then put a bit more super glue on the bottom and put it right into the aquarium and stick it to a clean spot (no green algae) on the rock.  

I would often take a toothbrush and scrub off junk from that spot on the rock first to make sure it was clean.

I usually failed to secure mushrooms or zoas with any glue.  I'd just let them attach where they wanted after they came loose from my frag plugs.  Others have better success. heh

So... that’s a good point with mushrooms. I’ve tried gluing some and they all broke off and they were secured firmly. I’d like to frag and glue an OG Bounce any tips? I’m thinking a floating basket with rubble. I’ve used an upside down closed container with rubble before. Any better ideas?

I’ve had good luck with zoas. Just squirt the glue out and push them in making sure the mouths aren’t covered. I’ve lost a couple, but overall success.

I for one, love the glue you guys sell and it’s cheap. Definitely picking up some.

So I have many ways and it all depends on the stubbornness of the shroom haha.

I made a basket that I hang from my tank using window screen mesh. I hang it with my glass cleaner magnet and some fishing bobbers. I put broken shell bits from the tank in there and let things attach. Usually it’s enough that you can put glue on the rubble and glue that to a plug or a rock.

Favorite sneaky technique is to get a curved shell or a snail shell and put some glue at the very bottom and tuck the shroom in there. It’ll be cradled on either side and not want to leave while the glue is working it’s magic.

Sometimes a combo of that works.

Sometimes you need panty hose

Sometimes you just need a hole in your rock that you can put glue down and send it down and not see it for a few days til it attaches and gets back to normal size and comes out the top.

Also, stupid as it sounds gluing shrooms and putting them in an absolutely no flow area really helps.

Thanks for the tips on mushrooms. Seems like no secret gluing technique. Previously when I glued they all popped off. They were secure, but maybe the slight flow was enough. Used a floating basket with rubble in a frag tank.

c3281bb017ab9af9ef700ab68f3300d9.jpg

c5d5bd302f2507c6391e084a2101a412.jpg