Power failure

YHSublime

How many of you lost power? I’m stranded in NYC taking a bus home after every single flight out this afternoon and tonight got canceled.

Dog sitter is reporting no power, and sent these, which don’t bode well for it getting restored anytime soon

e05f7e07d35d6e5692c470c94c967945.jpg

755f77ea25d79b05189b8b0dd844c726.jpg

My battery backup is out of juice, so they’ve got a bubbler literal battery backup. I’m praying my corals will hold out till I get home and can hook up a marine battery to my power inverter and get things moving again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaac, I've got some additional battery bubblers if you want to borrow them.

Thanks! I’m back overnight, going to run out to some friends who have a deep cell cycle that I can just hook up to the inverter. Just worried about the 7 hours of no water movement and how it will fair. Yikes!

Just saw this (sorry)... we have a generator if anyone needs to borrow it.

Sorry for the situation. We were without power for 9 days during Hurricane Ike. Our tank faired well (thank goodness for the temperature!) but my stress level sure didn't.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Just saw this (sorry)... we have a generator if anyone needs to borrow it.

Sorry for the situation. We were without power for 9 days during Hurricane Ike. Our tank faired well (thank goodness for the temperature!) but my stress level sure didn't.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

No worries, thanks for chiming in. I will write a Paul B version of my morning/day/night, but not before I get some rest, been up for 26 hours straight now, 4 different airports, a train station, and a bus.

Hooked the inverter off the deep cell marine battery. Currently powering the mag five return pump, 2 mp10’s, and a box fan right by my face.

First order of business when power returns: charge and setup my eco tech battery backup. Purchase my own deep cell marine battery for emergencies.

From a quick visual walkthrough, no losses, inverts and fish are all good, coral looks like some polyp retraction, but will survive. We will see in a few weeks if there were any big hiccups for the 8 hours without great flow.

oh wow glad everything is ok..~

i saved few sps and fish from my friend in Vienna..good luck and be safe everyone!

So glad everything looks good Isaac. Keep me in mind if you ever need help. 

What is a deep cell marine battery? 

My power was out for 9 hours yesterday. I have 2 battery bubblers and I use a tiny portable generator to run a single powerhead for water movement. Everything is looking ok today. 

My power was out for 9 hours yesterday. I have 2 battery bubblers and I use a tiny portable generator to run a single powerhead for water movement. Everything is looking ok today. 

Glad et is worked out on your end! I’m all sorted, power cane on at 4am.

Deep cell marine battery holds a charge longer and is easier for charging up for long time uses, for things like trolling motors or electric boats.

Et appears fine, but on the road again, so will see when I get back home!

Status?

All sorted.

Hopefully crisis is averted - it sounds like it is looking that way.

I guess with the recent waves of thunderstorms, this should serve as a PSA to be prepped in case of power failure. At the very least, a battery operated airstone will go a long way to keeping inhabitants alive for a couple hours.

(edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 10:55 AM, Sharkey18 said:

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be charged and discharged frequently; typical car batteries fail prematurely if they're run down to lower voltages (deep cycled) and charged back up frequently. 

Glad the tank inhabitants are doing well. We may it through the 13 hour power outage in San Diego around 2011 without any losses; naturally it happened on one of the hottest days of the year too. I agitated the tank by hand every half hour or so but that was it. I keep the generator ready to go these days.

Edited by madweazl

On 5/29/2019 at 8:44 AM, madweazl said:

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be charged and discharged frequently; typical car batteries fail prematurely if they're run down to lower voltages (deep cycled) and charged back up frequently. 

Glad the tank inhabitants are doing well. We may it through the 13 hour power outage in San Diego around 2011 without any losses; naturally it happened on one of the hottest days of the year too. I agitated the tank by hand every half hour or so but that was it. I keep the generator ready to go these days.

I just touched down last night late, after my second round of travels. Luckily everything appears to be good, I had a heck of a time getting back as it seems this weather has been roaming all over the US for a week plus now. 

My backup MP10 has thrown an error code again, that's x2 MP10's in the past month. I'll take it out and clean it (honestly, it's due for a soak, coraline has started taking on so quickly now) but I'm getting pretty frustrated with Ecotech. 

I still need to write up the story of how this tank is still alive!

Buy you a 31 Series Deep Cycle Marine Battery with the biggest RC value that you can find or afford.  Try to stay away from a marine starting battery or a dual purpose battery.  Look at the labels and make sure it's a deep cycle.

I have two Deka Brand batteries in my boat that I have used in an emergency before I bought a generator.

27 minutes ago, Big Country said:

Buy you a 31 Series Deep Cycle Marine Battery with the biggest RC value that you can find or afford.  Try to stay away from a marine starting battery or a dual purpose battery.  Look at the labels and make sure it's a deep cycle.

I have two Deka Brand batteries in my boat that I have used in an emergency before I bought a generator.

That's exactly what I used. I actually nabbed it off some neighbors that have an completely electric powered pontoon. Just need to buy my own, they want to keep running their boat!